- Fishing Charters
- Free Tackle
- Charter Listings
- Saltwater Tides

CURRENT MOON

All in General Outdoors Top Sites

Freshwater Fish ID
Saltwater Fish ID

Turkey Season Fishing Trip 2007, Indiana Fishing.

Fishing reports for the entire United States coastline and freshwater systems.

Turkey Season Fishing Trip 2007, Indiana Fishing.

Postby WarEagle » Thu May 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Turkey Season Fishing Trip… Success!

We know that every year right around the end of May that Turkey Season starts in Indiana. We plan for it. We schedule around it. Our families know to expect us to be gone and unavailable for it.
It started innocently enough 7 years ago. Alan was a client of mine. He turkey hunted in Southwest Indiana every year which is what we did the first year. Up at 4 a.m. In the woods all day. The second year, I suggested that we fish in the afternoon instead of heading back into the woods. The third year I mentioned that we might hunt a couple days and fish a couple of days. Year 4, we finally saw the light. We bought a small bass hunter boat that we could push, pull and drag to secluded water, and it became a fishing only trip. Year 7 will be known as the year of the float tube. In an effort to find even more hidden water, we packed up tubes and went hiking.

Southwest Indiana is home to several small State Parks, Fish and Wildlife Areas, and all kinds of small water that produce lots of fish. We want to fish water that you have to work to get to. Low pressure, big fish. Our schedule for 2007 ended up like this:
Wednesday, 4/25/07 – 1p: Sugar Ridge Strip Pit; Twin Lakes
Thursday, 4/26/07 – 7a: Sugar Ridge Strip Pits; Bethel Pit (Float Tubes)
Thursday, 4/26/07 – 1p: Sugar Ridge Strip Pits; Bass Pit
Friday, 4/27/07 – 7a: Huntingburg Reservoir
Friday, 4/27/07 – 1p: Honey Hole (Secret No Name Lake)
Saturday, 4/28/07 – 7a: Celina Lake
Saturday, 4/28/07 – 1p: Bob’s Lake (Private)
Sunday, 4/29/07 – 7a: Bob’s Lake (Private)
7 different lakes in 4 days, hard to beat that schedule. The weather cooperated for most of the trip. High air temps for the week previous really set up some great fishing. The threat of thunderstorms and a cold front heading our way made the activity almost constant.

Wednesday afternoon we fished new water. The Sugar Ridge Strip Pits complex is made up of a couple dozen lakes. They are all crystal clear and full of bass. Rules were soon established on our typical challenges. First fish, most fish, biggest fish and most species caught. We soon discovered that the topwater bite was ON. Topwater poppers with a dressed treble smeared with CB’s HawgSauce Bass Honey gave me the early lead with first fish and most fish. I never looked back. 14.5â€
WarEagle
Outdoorsman

Postby boudreauxsbaits.com » Fri May 04, 2007 7:47 am

Now that sounds like a great trip! I hope next year to come and go with you guys.
boudreauxsbaits.com
Trail Guide

Postby WarEagle » Fri May 04, 2007 9:15 am

You know you are invited.

WAR
WarEagle
Outdoorsman

Postby allingeneral » Fri May 04, 2007 9:21 am

Nice writeup WarEagle. Sounds like a great time was had by all. I particularly like the first part where you explain how the transition from a hunting trip to a fishing trip occured over the span of a couple of years. :)
:fishin:
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
AIG Outdoors and Tactical Supply
Discount Fish Tackle

http://maglitesales.com
allingeneral
Site Admin

Postby WarEagle » Fri May 04, 2007 6:18 pm

It's such a good time of year for fishing, it was just too hard for me personally to be off work for a few days, and spend it sitting in the woods. And now we fish about 12hrs. a day. And it's awesome.

WAR
WarEagle
Outdoorsman

Return to Fishing Reports