Questions about how to fix or upgrade your Maglite flashlight
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Maglite switch assemblies sometimes develop problems after years of use and abuse, but luckily, it is a simple procedure to repair/replace the switch assembly in your Maglite flashlight. Maglite C/D switch repair and replacement.
First, you need to locate a replacement switch, here.
Maglite D-Cell Switch Assembly
Maglite C-Cell Switch Assembly
Once you have received your replacement Maglite switch assembly from MagliteSales.com, you can follow this procedure to remove the old switch:
1) Remove the tail cap and batteries.
2) Remove the head assembly.
3) With your finger nail or a small screwdriver, pop the rubber switch cover (switch seal) out of the body of the light
4) Insert a 5/32 allen wrench into the center of the switch and back the set screw out a couple of turns
5) Using a long, blunt instrument (the handle of a screwdriver), insert it into the head end of the flashlight and gently push the switch assembly out the tail end of the light. NOTE: Make sure you do this gently...do not force it. If force is required, you are likely doing something incorrectly, or you have had a battery leak that has fouled the inner bore of the flashlight body.
If step 5 isn't working, try backing the screw out of the center of the switch another turn or two.
Reverse the steps to install the new replacement switch.
Your Maglite switch repair is complete!
I hope this helps.
Remember when repairing or replacing the switch assembly in your C or D Cell Maglite flashlight, that there are two different versions of each.
Sometime in 2001, Mag Instrument, Inc released a new version of their C and D cell Maglites. The new versions included a couple of upgrades to the switch assembly as well as a slightly different diameter flashlight body. Therefore, the switch assembly is not interchangeable between a pre-2001 and a new style Maglite flashlight because the new style switch assemblies are slightly smaller in diameter.
C-Cell Old Switch Assembly Part Number: 108-023
C-Cell New Switch Assembly Part Number: 108-567
D-Cell Old Switch Assembly Part Number: ???
D-Cell New Switch Assembly Part Number: 108-208
So, you ask.. How can I tell whether I have the new or old model Maglite flashlight? The simple answer to that question is that if you purchased your Maglite flashlight anytime after the year 2001, chances are that you have the new model.
The long answer is that with the introduction of the new models of each the C and D cell flashlights, Mag Instrument changed the format of the serial number that they stamp on the outside of the flashlight body. The new style serial numbers all start with a "C" or a "D". The old style serial numbers start with a numeric digit.
Maglite Illustrated Parts Breakdown / Parts Lists
I hope this helps. Please post any Maglite questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
Here are the switch replacement procedures for OLD-style C and D cell Maglite flashlights. Click the image to view it in full (readable) size.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest