First timer

Saltwater tips, tricks, ideas and questions
allingeneral
Site Admin

First timer

Post by allingeneral »

So, we went out on the Potomac River with fishing poles for the first time last weekend. We were trolling for stripers, but unfortunately only caught a single bluefish. It was my first ever saltwater fish, so I was happy anyway.

We're fishing just below the 301 bridge on the Potomac, and since it was my first trip out on the Potomac to fish, I really didn't have a clue. I just found a spot where there was a little structure on the bottom and there were some birds that were feeding on baitfish. We trolled by there and there he was...that toothy little bluefish hit on my Rapala Deep diver in about 23 feet of water.

I'm continuing to scour the internet for information about the Potomac River in hopes of finding out where I should be going to pick up some nice Rockfish. I have read a little bit about Swan Point, which is on the Maryland side of the river, and may be heading there on our next outing. Also, from what I've read, I think that heading down the Potomac toward the Chesapeake Bay may be a good idea, but with gas prices what they are, I'm not sure that we'll be making that trip anytime soon.

Anyway...here's a picture of the little bluefish I caught. Better luck next time! :)
Attachments
Rick's first Bluefish on the Potomac
Rick's first Bluefish on the Potomac
potomac-fish.JPG (22.76 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Salt Water Fishing”