Knee deep in the surf ........

Saltwater tips, tricks, ideas and questions
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Knee deep in the surf ........

Post by RACN35 »

Woke up in the morning and headed to BBNWR with Bucket and Parko03 to conduct a beach clean up for Public Land's Day.

After cleaning the beach, we fished for about 2 hours south of the second walkover in a stiff NE wind pushing 25mph. No distance to speak of for the most part, but I managed a blue and that was it.

Back to the Refuge Center where Bucket, Parko03, RACN and myself gave a classroom discussion on general surffishing at the refuge for an hour, then we took the participants down tot he beach for some fishing. Not much happening, but we did get one female participant on a pompano and sea mullet. Made her happy as her hubby got nothing!

RACN thanks for bringing all that fresh caught bait!
From there we packed up regrouped and headed to Dam Neck. Got set up to the incoming tide and I immediately picked up a decent taylor blue and put him in the cooler for bait.

Bucket gets a screaming run, but just a 3 ft Sandbar thinkin he's tougher than he is.
Bucket manged to get a few more of those on spot heads, so he puts on a piece of spot on his new AFAW 13' Beach from Fishsticks4u. Tosses it out in the 15mph NE winds and sets it down. A little bit of time goes by and then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, there it goes.

Bucket jumps and grabs the AFAW rod and sets the hook and for once we think we have the drum skunk off. Over and under the lines we go trying no to get caught up in the lines, but right when we think we have it cleared, I see his sinker hanging up high on another line. Not good with the fish not too far behind!!

I walk out getting battered by a few waves, but I am able to cut the line and the fish did not make any runs, so we are safe for now.

Finally after putting much time into fishing the past week or more for drum, we land Bucket's first of 2007.

She went a healthy 43" and was released just fine!

Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Nice pics RACN. I always like seeing the pics you take on your fishing trips. Thanks for sharing.
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Salt Water Fishing”