BEACH REPORT* 1-5 OCT 2007

Saltwater tips, tricks, ideas and questions
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

BEACH REPORT* 1-5 OCT 2007

Post by RACN35 »

Started off Monday am just after sunrise at BBNWR and hit the beach until just after 11-NO REDS....lots of black drummies were tagged and released.......2 spot kept for bait for the next days outing......

Tuesday fished the seaside of Navop Dam Neck and got some very nice bluefish for dinner,1 small shark and of course lots more tagging lil drummies-1 small pompano NO REDS....kept 3 blues for bait too

Wednesday I went to Rudee at 0500 till 8 or so and tagged 2 flounder, spot were hit N miss ......left Rudee after getting more fresh bait and headed for BBNWR to meet Darryl at 10...he was in the parking lot as I pulled up and we headed down the wooden #2 walkway to our RED zone.......caught lots of black drum, all tagged & released.....DS422 got a clearnosed skate and we got several nice spot to boot,one of them thoughthe was superfish and tried hauling my rig up the beach, come to find out "something" else had it in their mouth and was on the run with it.....as you will see by the bite mark, it had some sharp teeth !.....he left at 2 and I stayed until 4pm.....I got another big bluefish right after he left and I saw a couple little "spotted crabs" .....never seen spotted crabs before, shaped and hard shell like a blue but had spots all over it- pic included too....so I left at 4- went home and ate supper then headed to Dam Neck an hour later.....fished the beach from 6 pm to 10 sucky low tie and nada but 1 fat bluefish....This day I fished Rudee for 3 hours,Back Bay for 6 hours and DamNeck for 4 hours !! - NO F$%*ing RED DRUM !!

Thursday I changed up and went to the "office" .....I sat in the Tuna chair of the LUCKY DOG and fished for specks to tag and spot for bait.....didnt get any of either one but can always count on black seabass to tag at "work" ......baitless I headed to Rudee and fished for spot off the rocks and got 4....headed to BBNWR and my little black drum friends were waiting to get their fill of fishbites again.......the cut spot did me no good cause there were NO REDS..... a few double headers on the bait rod of spot and lil pompano as well.

Friday I bait fished again and threw the casy net to get some nice mullet cause there was going to be a "crowd" this afternoon at sundown for some moonlight fishing with friends......I got there at 5 and set up, right away started tagging those cute little drum.....got 2 fresh spot as well......with a cooler full of fresh mullet......the beach bums arrived......first was Dixie and Bucket......they got set up in the dark and fished a while........then FINALLY after 5 dang days a red shows his face....off and running with my rig loaded mullet head !! It was on my light rod I had in close and I said very loudly "I got a fish,I got a fish"....Dixie comes for the assit incase the monster 44, no wait.....48 inch - by the time I get it in the wash its gotta be over 50 inches long in the darkness !!! Once the lantern was turned on and the tape measure comes out.....Andy pops up out of the darkness, hey where did he come from ? I dint even know Andy was here yet.....I lay the brute up on my cooler to tag and released the fish.....I am not sure but somehow the camera reveals only a 24 inch fish ? Ok I get it, the monster fish was in my head.....The fish I just caught,tagged,kissed and released was 24.....a FAT 24 at that and better than the last 4 friggen REDLESS days.....at least I have a starting point to beat now......next rod over had a 14 1/2 inch pup on it I had no clue was even there until I reeled in to check my bait......Then Darrel (Park03) and the Great White Shark showed up to join the crowd of us other 4 who were already there......to make a long story come to an end.....I came home at 10 last nite- baitless beat and needing a shower and shave before someone would let me come to bed........I am thinking I need a day off to hit Busch Gardens today and back at the drummies tomorro while she is at the Brad Paisly concert........

OH YEA AND THIS ......FIRST ONE IN THE DARK !!!

Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Nice work RACN. You've been a busy man! Thanks for letting us know how things are going out there.
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

Sure thing man- you been back to the saltwater lately ?
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

I've been as busy as a one-legged man in an ass-kickin' contest. Maybe I can get out there this weekend. I've heard that the stripers are on the move in this area. It cooled off for a few days a couple of weeks ago, but this past week has been too hot for October! Not sure what the water temp is at right now, but my guess is that it has dropped a couple of degrees due to cooler nights...maybe down to 76 or so.

Hmm...I'm off work today to watch my three year-old son. Maybe he and I need to hook onto the boat and head to the water!
--
Rick
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

the ocean temp was down to 72* yesterday - whats the closet town where you hit the water at again ?
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

I launch near Colonial Beach, just south of the 301 bridge. Fishing today was off of Swan Point. Here's today's report:

http://all-in-general.com/forum/colonial-beach-swan-point-striper-fishing-report-10-08-07-t623.html
--
Rick

Return to “Salt Water Fishing”