ldock
Minnow

Reel Maintenance

Post by ldock »

Anyone tried this before:
It's called Ardent Reel Butter Grease

http://fishingtackletips.net/fishing-ge ... el-grease-

Does it work to preserve your reel?
Looking for a reliable reel maintenance product. What do you all use?

Thanks everyone!
Attachments
Ardent Reel Butter Gear Grease - Fishing Tackle Tips.jpg
dahut
Minnow

Re: Reel Maintenance

Post by dahut »

I've heard of it - never tried it. It has been around along time, though.

I use an NGLI grade 2, teflon grease for reel gear lubrication. You can get it in any store as marine grease, the "environmentally friendly" stuff. It's Teflon based (PTFE), so it has no harmful effect on the waters or the creatures in it. In fact, you can eat it and it won't hurt you. It is also non slinging, and so stays where you put it on the gears inside the reel.

For the shafts and other moving parts, I use a light machine oil called, "3 in 1." This stuff has been around for a long time, too... well over a century. I've seen ads for it from magazines in the early 1900's! Just a drop will do, so it goes a long way. One small bottle will probably last a hundred years. :roll:

The truth is, you don't need to buy expensive, specialty lubricants for your reels. Regular greases and light machine oils will do. What is most important is that you perform regular cleaning and lubrication, that you place your lubricants where they need to be, and that they stay there.
"How much stuff does it take to outwit a fish? Their brains are no bigger than a pea!" - my wife

Return to “Fresh Water Fishing”