14Fish,4Hours & 257 Pounds - 10 Nov 2007

Freshwater tips, tricks and questions
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

14Fish,4Hours & 257 Pounds - 10 Nov 2007

Post by RACN35 »

Head out the drive way at 0430 in a drizzle rain.....radar seemed to be clearing before I left the house. Yea right, by the time I crossed the HRBT it was a down pour and traffic was bumper to bumper~ at 5 am on a Saturday ? WTF over. Rain,rain & more rain all the way to the boat ramp......I rolled up at 6:05 and Steve (cataholic) already had the boat launched and warming up setting there in the pitch dark. Air temp was 42 and foggy,drizzle.......headed down river in 55* water temp and dropped the net and got 8 shad and off we went.......got set up by 7 and the these guys hit like they were starved !! In the next 4 hours we caught a dozen fish that went 14,16,18,18,16,15,12,14,15,14,16 and a 15LB'r not a dag gone fish over 20 pounds :o( ...then Steve's next fish went 27 or so pounds and we were closing in on 30 pounds but so far had like 210 pounds in just under 4 hours......fished until we had 1 baitfish left and then we were going to move to another spot.......as the rod in front of me danced and slammed rod tip straight down, I said "you want this one ?" Steve replied : "no go ahead I got the last one".......this brute was heading south in a hurry and heading to deep water, it took some serious UMMPHH to stop the fish and turn it back my way.......Steve gets the net ready and I get the lug to the boat.....and on the scales it goes.....47 POUNDS !!! A new peronal best for this gal.....the camera was acting up so all pics were taken on my cell phone.....hugged and kissed the big whiskered love of mine and sent her back to where she came from.....the mighty James River !! ......headed back to get more bait and netted another 12 for Steve's trip with the Mrs tomorro and we headed in by 1PM ........what an awesome day on the water indeed.

TWINS~ 16 & 18 POUNDS
STEVE 27 POUNDS
AND THE FAT GIRL AT 47 POUNDS ~

PS: MANY THANKS FOR PUTTING ME ON THESE FISH TODAY STEVE !!.....HERE IS MY
BABY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT THE LIVES IN MY LIVING ROOM !!
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

DAAAAAAAMMMNNNN!!!!

That's a great day on the water! Wish I could find some free time to get out there for some of that action.

I am finishing up the winterizing on my boat this weekend. It's an inboard/outboard, so doesn't drain out like an outboard does. Time to put it away for the winter. I shoulda kept my little boat with the 115 Evinrude outboard for cold-weather fishing. My fishing season is over for this year.

I only caught one fish this fall. It was a little bluefish on the Potomac. Didn't get out on the Rappahannock like I did the last couple of years. The Potomac pretty much skunked me. I think I was fishing a little early in the season. Fishing is probably a lot better where I am right now with the water cooling off and the stripers moving in strong...too bad I have to shut the boat down for the winter.
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

I have an I/O ........ I never winterize it- I run an extension cord out to the boat and have a shop lite with a 60 watt bulb in it.....place it directly under the oil pan and close the cover.....it will keep the motor from freezing all winter......they also make several types of block heaters on the market too.....1 is a blanket you throw over the motor and another is a tube you put down the dipstick hole and keep the motor warm all winter too......theres lots of fish to be caught in the next 4 months until spring time !!
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

You make a strong case for making a purchase...I'll go look around a bit and see what I can come up with. I'd be afraid of the trouble light thing...what if the bulb burns out? oops! But still...knowing that you use your I/O during the winter months makes me feel better...

Here's a link to a block heater that I may buy..

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... umber=1153
--
Rick
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

THERE ARE 100'S OF GUYS ON FINTALK THAT WILL TELL YA THAT THEY NEVER WINTERIZE THEIR BOATS- THE BEST STRIPER FISHING IS AFTER THANKSGIVING THREW FEBUARY !!

Opps sorry about the caps.....I aint goingback to retype it tho !!

anyway there is also a website forum called http://www.thehulltruth.com all about boats and every question there is has been asked a 100 times over and answered 1000 times - check it out ......
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

That hulltruth forum looks like a pretty busy place. I'll have to do some digging around in there.
--
Rick
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

no kidding man - i only go there when i have a problem or about every 6 months !! not like HERE where i come everyday !!
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

RACN35 wrote:no kidding man - i only go there when i have a problem or about every 6 months !! not like HERE where i come everyday !!

...and we all appreciate your presence! Every single one of us! :) Right, guys and gals? *grin*

By the way...I'm loving the catfish in your home fish tank. that rocks :bigthumb:
--
Rick

Return to “Fresh Water Fishing”