Norfolk on the 4th of July

Fishing, camping, hunting, boating, sailing, yachting - if it doesn't fit anywhere else, then post here.
allingeneral
Site Admin

Norfolk on the 4th of July

Post by allingeneral »

So, I'm thinking about dragging the boat down to the Norfolk area for the 4th of July... A friend of mine was just telling me about "Waterside" and showed me the museum down there and all... Is this a good place to go with the boat? I want a place that's within boating distance of watching a good fireworks display from the water... I want to be able to float past the Navy Base so I can point at things with the kids.. I want to be able to park my boat and leave it in the water (in a slip) for the 2 or 3 days that we stay there...and I wouldn't mind doing some fishing if the opportunity presents itself...

Are there any hotels in the area that offer what I'm looking for at a price that won't give me a heart attack? Is the fishing any good in July near the Hampton bridge/tunnel? Are there any beaches in that area?

Any information would be you can provide would be great!
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Re: Norfolk on the 4th of July

Post by RACN35 »

off the top of my head i am a complete loss with a response, even tho waterside is like 12 miles from home.....i have never been by boat nor auto !
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Well, I'm thinking about running the boat down the river to get there instead of pulling it down there on the trailer, then spending the night onboard for a couple of nights rather than renting a hotel room. If I do that, I will need to find a place or two in the area where I can tie the boat off and roam around the town. Can I moor anywhere in Rudee Inlet? Do you know of any other good places where I can tie off and leave the boat for a few hours?
--
Rick
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

have you checked how far that is by water ? if your boat gets gas milage like mine does you could BUY a hotel for what it would cost my boat in gas !

i really have no idea about norfolk at all, even tho its only 15 miles away.

my house is only 3 miles from rudee inlet boat ramp and 5 miles from lynnhaven boat ramp- if you were going to trailor it down and get a hotel room you could park the boat beside mine in my drive way -

did you add this toyour phone yet goober ?

757 685 4811
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

I think it's about 90 miles down the Potomac, around Smith Point, then down the bay to VA Beach. I agree with you about gas prices...I think my boat uses almost a gallon per mile at cruising speed. I wish there was some kind of gear box in a boat that would let it run 30 knots at 1500 RPM instead of screaming along at 4000 RPM!

So, with gas prices at over $4.00/gallon now, I may just launch the boat locally and stay in local waters. I'll keep ya posted.

Yeah, I added your number to my phone. Maybe I'll call you one of these days :)
--
Rick
SeaKitten
mmmhhmmmmmm

Post by SeaKitten »

Since you're asking for ideas, here's mine:

I think spending the night on the boat in July is going to be HOT. I also think you should take us back to the top floor of that hotel on the ocean front and LOOK at the other boats out there in VA Beach. Then pick up some beach jewelry.

There are a few thoughts here for your consideration.

:enlighten:
Shelley Sandlin
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

How about if we drag the boat down there...play in the water all day and have a hotel room waiting for us at the end og the day where we can overlook the beach when we wake up in the morning?
--
Rick
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

and i told you that you can park your boat in my driveway beside both of mine - i live 4 miles from the oceanfront
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

RACN35 wrote:and i told you that you can park your boat in my driveway beside both of mine - i live 4 miles from the oceanfront

Yeah, I haven't forgotten that :)
--
Rick

Return to “General Discussion”