Belated 4th of July Greetings

Fishing, camping, hunting, boating, sailing, yachting - if it doesn't fit anywhere else, then post here.
allingeneral
Site Admin

Belated 4th of July Greetings

Post by allingeneral »

I have been so busy this weekend. I hope you all had a great and exciting Independence Day. We were out on the Potomac River all day swimming and pulling the kidlets around on the tube. Around 5 o'clock or so, I heard someone on the marine radio say something about seeing some lightning. I called them back to see where they saw it and they told me that they were on the Rappahannock River, which is a few miles south of the Potomac where we were. It didn't look too ominous at the time where we were.

We were about 12 miles from our boat slip, so we headed that way at a nice cruising speed of about 18 mph. As we got closer to our inlet, it got darker and the clouds started moving in. I saw a couple of large lighting strikes close to the marina. I bumped the throttle to ALL AHEAD FULL (about 35 mph) and hoped for the best. We got to the slip just as it started raining...

I got a couple of lines tied and got the family off the boat. They all headed for cover at the bath house while I stayed and batoned down the hatches. I finished tying everything off and ran for the bath house. As I got to within about 30 feet of shelter, I was tired of running, so I decided to walk the rest of the way. About that time, lightning struck close enough to me that I heard the thunder about a second after the flash! That lit a fire under my butt and I hauled ass the rest of the way to the bath house.

We took showers and got the Potomac River film off of us and sat there in the bath house for about an hour. Eventually, the clouds lifted and the sun came back out. So we went back to the boat and headed up the river to get a good spot for the fireworks show. ...and what a great show it was! I had my family with me and it was one of the best fireworks shows I remember seeing.

We headed back to the slip after the fireworks were over...there's a story here too, but I'll leave this one for another day. We got home safely and that's all that really matters :)
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Re: Belated 4th of July Greetings

Post by RACN35 »

Gald you all made it back safe-

I just won an all exspenses paid trip to the Potomac for a guided catfishing trip provided by the catfish nation - I won a raffle onMaster catters ! I will wait till the water cools down tho- Nov or Dec
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Oh, that's cool. I never win anything. Part of that is because I never play though :)
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
SeaKitten
mmmhhmmmmmm

Post by SeaKitten »

Ask him about the other story.
The one for another time...

:yes:
Shelley Sandlin

Return to “General Discussion”