A question for other pros or anyone for that matter

Fishing, camping, hunting, boating, sailing, yachting - if it doesn't fit anywhere else, then post here.
fishwithdc
Outdoorsman

A question for other pros or anyone for that matter

Post by fishwithdc »

I was very disturbed by an email I recieved tonight ... And wanted to hear the opinion of other professionals out there...

Every year I give away 15-20 charters during a two week period where I am statistically slow... I give these charters to anyone who has never tried kayak fishing before and is interested in trying it out...

Tonight I recieved a email from a kayak angler ( not a guide or pro ) expressing outrage that I would do such a thing... This angler expressed that fishing was already a cut throat business and that by doing this I was cutting the throats of other kayak guides...

My reply was this...

" The fishing business isn't cut throat... There is a lot of business out there and no need for anyone to feel threatened by anyone else... The kayak fishing business is growing so fast, and thousands of people a year enter the sport... we actually need more guides to start popping up...

The purpose of this isn't to edge out anyone else... I do this every year as a way to give people interested in the sport who might not otherwise try it a chance to experience it first hand... In fact this in the long run helps a lot of people associated with the kayak fishing industry... If the people who go out like it they will look to buy kayaks and equipment which in turn helps local paddle and tackle shops, as well as in the future at fishing with other guides or maybe even eventually become guides themselves... which will further boost the sport... In return making more opportunities and sales for everyone...

I think that a narrow minded approach by a lot of people that there isn't enough business around and they need to fight with others or every little bit they get or have is ridicoulous... Everyone in the sportfishing business needs to realize that by working together and fostering new interest in the sport it is good for everyone...

So... To answer your question... no I don't feel like I am hurting anyone else... I look at it as building a solid foundation for the future and giving people a chance to try something new... "

My question to all of you is this...

1) Has it gotten that bad where the business is actually cut throat?
2) Is it like that where you all are from?

Do guides everywhere feel threatened by other guides? I have always tried to befriend and help other professionals whenever I can... Its not only professional courtesy but also makes it better for those we are taking out on the water - our customers... after all isn't all about them and insuring they have the best time...

I was very disturbed by this email... For multiple reasons... one, that people actually get mad at others trying to do something good and spend more time finger pointing and fighting than working together to make things better for everyone... two, that someone would get made at someone for giving freely of themselves whether for profit or not... This would be like if you owned a supermarket and got made at another supermarket for having a buy one get one free sale. or getting made at another competitor for giving away free samples to try and boost sales or attract new customers... Isn't this America... Isn't that what capitalism is about... But most of all because fishing is supposed to be fun... Even for those of use who do it for a living... of course we want to make money but we can't lose sight of why we all started fishing to begin with... and if someone is willing to give of themselves to help bring new people into the sport then more power to them... Thats how I see it... But curious as to what you all might think...

D.C. Bienvenue
Sun Coast Kayak Fishing Tours
Sarasota, Florida
http://www.fishwithdc.com
boudreauxsbaits.com
Trail Guide

Post by boudreauxsbaits.com »

I am not a pro fisherman but a pro salesman. They business I am in at my full time job is very very very cut throat. I would hope that the fishing guide business would not get that way. Here in Tx on the coast most of the guides here are friends. If they get a call for a booking and are full they will give the numbers of other guides for those people to call so they can fish the days they want to fish. If I where you D.C. I would not worry about him at all, you have a great service going and offer some of the most awsome fishing adventures around.
Rich Lindgren
Professional Bass Angler
Professional Bass Angler

Post by Rich Lindgren »

If you are introducing new people to the sport of fishing, more power to it, no matter how you do it.
http://www.RichLindgren.com
http://bassinblog.richlindgren.com
http://richlindgren.proboards46.com
http://basstournament.blogspot.com

Sponsors:
Tru-Tungsten, Akinetix, Secret Weapon Lures, Stay'NCharge, & Optimum Baits
fishwithdc
Outdoorsman

Post by fishwithdc »

Thanks for your comments... I just needed some reassurance that I wasn't crazy...

D.C. Bienvenue
Sarasota, Florida
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

No one said anything about you not being crazy...I mean, you do fish from a kayak 40 miles+ out to sea... We were just agreeing that you're not in the wrong for the freebie trips and that there's plenty of business out there :)
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
boudreauxsbaits.com
Trail Guide

Post by boudreauxsbaits.com »

allingeneral wrote:No one said anything about you not being crazy...I mean, you do fish from a kayak 40 miles+ out to sea... We were just agreeing that you're not in the wrong for the freebie trips and that there's plenty of business out there :)

LMAO!!!!! Now wait one moment! Does that mean I am crazy for wanting to book at trip to go out there with him?
fishwithdc
Outdoorsman

Post by fishwithdc »

Who's crazier the nut or the nut who fishes with him... haha

Anyway...

Thanks for your replies... I was just so irritated last night at the comments that I needed to vent a bit...

The fact that people think of it that way really amazes me... Its fishing... I left my last career as a professional chef to fish because I was looking for a more laid back atmosphere... It is disheartening to think that people can take a beautiful sport and ruin it with ill feelings and bad will towards others...

Its a sad world when people view the almighty dollar in higher regards than good will towards others and insuring that sportfishing has a long future ahead of it...

Anyway... Tight Lines!!!

DC

D.C. Bienvenue
Sarasota, Florida
Canerod
Outdoorsman

Post by Canerod »

I say ignore narrow-minded SOB's. Like any business, you get a cross-section of the general population, and that includes the idiots and the @$$*%@.

Up here in Maine, most of the guides are members of the Maine Professional Guide's Assoc. and get along pretty well, but I've had some come up to me, with clients present and start railing about the fact that I'm not a native "Mainer" (but my wife is), that there are too many guides already, I'll go broke trying to break in to the market (not according to my book-keeper :wink: ) etc. I give away several guided days a year to what are, IMO, worthy non-profits, including CFR, TU, and local youth camps, plus a bamboo flyrod a year for fundraising. That's my time, my money and noone's business but mine.

Sounds to me like this guy needs to spend more time building his business, not worrying about yours.

Kevin
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
http://www.highcountryguideservice.com
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

I sometimes wonder why everyone can't just be"normal" like us! :)

I like your response there Canerod...very well stated.
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “General Discussion”