Paintball

Fishing, camping, hunting, boating, sailing, yachting - if it doesn't fit anywhere else, then post here.
allingeneral
Site Admin

Paintball

Post by allingeneral »

So, my buddies talked me into going to play paintball with them yesterday. It was my first time. I bought a used gun from my neighbor a few days ago and bought the safety equipment from town. I tested my gun at home and it seemed to be OK. Paint balls busted against the fence when I shot it. I had never seen a paintball gun shoot, so, I just assumed that I was good to go.

I got to the guy's house where we were playing and I shot my gun a couple of times. Then one of the other guys got their gun put together and shot it at a tree. I was amazed and angry all at the same time! His gun was shooting about twice as fast as mine! I was so mad!

So, I worked on the gun for a bit...figured out how to turn the speed up. I maxed it out and it was better, but still not even close to what the other guys were shooting. I asked one of my buds to put a couple of drops of silicone oil into the bolt mechanism, hoping that maybe some lubrication would help. I shot it a few times and it looked OK, so I was ready to head out into the woods.

When I got into the woods, we counted down and started the game. I went and hid behind a piece of plywood and started shooting. I got about 10 shots off before my gun just quit shooting! I could hear paintballs splattering against the plywood that I was hiding behind. I kelt trying to get my gun to go, but no luck! I got nailed in the shoulder with a paintball and I was out.
:doh:

I told the guys what happened and headed back to the house to work on my gun again. Turns out, the oil had loosened up a bunch of grime and locked up the bolt/cocking mechanism. So, it needed to be completely field stripped. Of course, I didn't have any tools with me. Luckily one of the other guys had some allen wrenches. Unfortunately, they were all standard and my gun was metric. What great luck I'm having today!!! I went ahead and field stripped it with the incorrect allen. Hopefully, I didn't strip out the allen heads too badly. I got it all put back together after the cleaning and it looked like things were looking up. I headed back into the woods.

When the next game started (I had missed two games while field stripping my gun), I ran to the same piece of plywood and crouched down. This time I managed to get about 20 shots off before a paintball broke inside my firing mechanism and totally locked the gun up. I WAS SO MAD! I just yelled to let everyone know that I was done for this game..my gun was busted. They kinda looked at me like I was crazy. I just stood there with my arms in the air and said "Shoot me if you want, but I'm out of this round". No one shot me, so that was good, I guess.

I was about to call it a day when my buddy, Mike, offered to let me use his gun for a round. He said that I hadn't gotten to play a good game all day...please use my gun. I reluctantly took his gun and got ready for the next match.

MAN! His gun ROCKS!! It has several different settings for 3 or 6 shot burst and even a fully automatic mode! It was awesome! I ended up being the last man standing in both of the games that I played using Mike's gun!
:first:

I'm going to see what I can do about taking my gun apart and getting it cleaned up real well and lubed up. We'll see if it works worth a darn after a good cleaning in the garage. If not, I'll definitely be buying a different gun.
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
Uncle Chuck
Outdoorsman

Re: Paintball

Post by Uncle Chuck »

We have several places around here where they do the paintball thing, and if I could still run, jump, dodge and stuff, I know I'd have a ball. They just came out with stuff like that too late in my life, for me to get in on it!! Hope you get your gun up to par, so you can enjoy it until you figure you're ready for a state-of-the-art gun, and ready to spend BIG money!
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

did the neighbor know how bad off this gun was when he sold it to you ? does he still play and get a new gun and sold the old one to the new guy ?
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Actually, the neighbor thing is a funny story. He's an old guy that I've spoken to a handful of times over the past 5 years. He came by the other day to let me know that he had a computer chair that he was selling. I told him that I wasn't interested in the chair. Then he told me that his son is going to college and that he was also selling his paintball gun. I had just spoken to the guys at work a couple of days earlier about going paintballing, so this seemed like it was meant to be! He wanted $50 for it. The box had a $160.00 price sticker on it and it included a $20.00 CO2 tank. So, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

So, to answer your question...nah, the old guy was selling his son's stuff to try to help pay for school. Totally unrelated to my own paintball clan.
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

makes sense to me !
VCAN Member
Pike_Master
Outdoorsman

Post by Pike_Master »

Ya i owned a cheaper Paintball gun but some seals broke and that was the end of it haha.Never played games,just shot it for fun.One neighbor has one looking like a ar-15 Semi auto and i think it can be Fully auto.Sick lookin gun!
Git-R-Done
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

so anyway , 5 years later - lol
VCAN Member

Return to “General Discussion”