Live Bait or Cut Bait this time of the Year?

General Discussion about anything fishing related
catfishjohn
Outdoorsman

Live Bait or Cut Bait this time of the Year?

Post by catfishjohn »

Live Bait or Cut Bait this time of the Year? What do you all prefer?

I was wondering what most of you prefer during the cold months. I prefer to use both but live bait is getting hard to come by. Creeks and Ponds will be frozen over this time of the year in a lot of places and I can't use a cast net because of my back and neck. None of the bait shops I deal with have anything good this time of year. Only thing I can get is Crappie minnows. I still have a few frozen skipjack that have been thawed then refroze due to the fridge coming unplugged. I'm planning on using them and live bait(if I can get any) at a new bank fishing spot I found.
I may also try to fish the structure with crappie minnows in the pool of the creek to go for crappie and/or bass. Hopefully the Channel cats will be there,I'd just as soon catch channels than crappie or bass.
I'll probably try the skippies where the creek goes out. Just not sure what area would be the best to locate them.
Thanks in advance,I appreciate it. I haven't done much cold water fishing and would love to learn any tips,baits,bait placement location and any other info for winter cattin'.
I know we have some experts here so lets here what you all have to say!!! Its almost Christmas,,,Help a Brother out! LOL!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!!!!! May the New Year be the best ever!!!

Thanks,
John
CPR ~ C - Catch P - photo R - release on all Trophy Fish Please. Keep the 1-10 lber's for the table.
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait this time of the Year?

Post by allingeneral »

Cold weather (the winter months) are the toughest times of the year to catch catfish. Catfish are lazy to begin with...mix that with very cold water and they become inactive and sluggish. In cold weather months, catfish will move to the deepest holes they can find, away from heavy current. The water is generally warmer here and baitfish tend to hold in those areas as well.

So, look for a deep hole during the winter, away from current. I would assume that live bait would be best, since it will better draw the attention of lazy ole Mr. Catfish. Live bait being tough to come by in the winter months makes that difficult, so I guess going with what you can get is just going to have to be good enough! Toss some cut bait out into that hole, or maybe even a treble hook with a stinkin' dough ball. Any way you do it, good luck and let us know how it goes!

:fishing:

Tight Lines!
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
catfishjohn
Outdoorsman

Post by catfishjohn »

I'll let you all know how I do. I'll get some pics here of what it looks like. Looks promising with the creek coming out...Wish I knew how deep it is. Someday I'll have a boat though.
Thanks!!!
CPR ~ C - Catch P - photo R - release on all Trophy Fish Please. Keep the 1-10 lber's for the table.
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

REMIND ME TO GET BACK TO THIS THREAD RICK....... :bangin:
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Yep, I figured you'd probably have some good input here Jamie. So, don't forget to come back to this thread when you have a few moments. :coffee:
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
catfishjohn
Outdoorsman

Post by catfishjohn »

Here are a couple pics of the creek mouth and the general area...

Let me know what you think... :fishing:
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

Gotta go launch the boat, but briefly ::: Winter time is the nest for BIG cats because the water is colder and they use less oxygen so they will scout more for food, unlike in the summer when they stay put more because warmer water holds less 02 the in the winter, they burn more energy duringthe summer too.

to help you find fresh bait if you cant catch it your self or buy it at the bait shop;
everyone has a farm fresh,food lion or kroger supermarket near by. go to the seafood section and ask the butcher if he will save you the remains and heads. 99% of fish that come into my local food lion is whole fish packed on ice.....they have to filet and cut it up there at the store........fresh bait - EVERYDAY and they just throw it away !! another thing I have used for channel cats is mussels or clams, if you cant fins any- go to your local chineses buffet and get the carry out box - for like $3 a pound you can get that styrofoam lunch take out box full for around 5 bucks.........

going to hit 70 today - 1 feb 08 ..... see ya !
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member

Return to “General Fishing Discussion”