Steelhead Fishing in BC CANADA

Fishing reports for the entire United States coastline and freshwater systems.
NoelGyger
Trail Guide

Steelhead Fishing in BC CANADA

Post by NoelGyger »

http://www.noelgyger.ca

Weekly Fishing Reports (Smithers, Terrace, Kitimat, Prince Rupert and Meziadin North)

Noel Gyger
September October 10 to October 17, 2010

Dear Fishing Friends: :welcome:

SUMMARY: Weather has fair all week. The rain we had mostly stayed in the mountains as snow. Fishing for Steelhead, Coho, Cutthroat Trout, Bull Trout and Dolly Varden Char using fly, spin and conventional gear was good.
The Skeena River and most of the tributaries are in good shape. The Kalum River is good shape and fishing for Steelhead and Coho is fantastic.
The Kitimat River is similar to most rivers in the North West remained high and dirty for most of the week but is looking like it will be clean enough to fish by this weekend barring anymore rain. Some anglers ventured out to the upper Kitimat or to the mouths of the cleaner tributaries and were catching the odd Coho. Check out the Ron Wakita report below.
Prince Rupert had strong winds and heavy rainfall this past week there has been no fishing report to issue, although some diehard fishermen have taken to the water for a fresh feed of Crab.
The Bulkley River water is high from all the recent rains but it is clearing up quickly. It has about two feet of visibility and most anglers are hooking into a couple fish a day. Water is high but fishable.
The Telkwa is causing most of the colouring, as usual, and the upper river is pretty clear. Fishing has done well. The nights have been getting cooler and that will help clear up the rivers. It is nice to have some new water in the river and as it clears the fishing should improve.
The Morice River water is quite high but with about three feet of visibility it is more than good enough for fishing. Fish are in the river and Steelheading has done well. Check out the Bob Melrose report below.
The Zymoetz (Copper) River is clean enough to fish and I have many reports of some great Steelhead catches with both fly and spin rods. This week guide reports came from Ron Wakita, Andrew Rushton and Gill McKean. Thank you to all of the fishing guides who sent reports and photos. It is very much appreciated!

River Reports Weather - Normal temp - Sunrise & Sunset - Tyee Test Fishery – Tides – Hydrometric Data

Bulkley River
Water is high but fishable. The Telkwa is causing most of the colouring, as usual, and the upper river is pretty clear. Fishing has done well. The nights have been getting cooler and that will help clear up the rivers. It is nice to have some new water in the river and as it clears the fishing should improve.

Kalum River
Is in good shape and fishing for Steelhead and Coho is excellent on both spin and fly
gear. Guiding closed on October 15th.

Kispiox River
Water is high from all the recent rains but it is clearing up quickly. It has about 2 feet of visibility and most anglers are hooking into a couple of fish a day.

Morice River
Water is quite high but with about 3 feet of visibility it is more than good enough for fishing. Fish are in the river and Steelheading has done well.

Skeena River
The Skeena River is in good shape and fishing for both Steelhead and Coho is excellent. The big Coho are coming in now. The locals call them the “Northerns”. They all have big hooked noses.

Zymoetz (Copper) River
The water is in fair shape and fishing for Steelhead is outstanding.

Meziadin River
This is “prime time” to fish the river mouth (where it dumps into the Nass River) for Steelhead and Coho. The scenery this time of year is simply beautiful. Check out the scenery and wildlife photos at: http://www.noelgyger.ca/for-sale-videos-dvd-photos.htm

Kasiks River
The water is in good shape. Coho are coming into the river now. The BIG northerns are here. Our record fish on this river weighed 27-pounds and was caught by Jack Baikowitz. This is the first river to go out of shape with a heavy rain but is also the first river to come back into shape once the rain stops. The fish are spread throughout the whole river. Fish the deep darker pools where they may be holding. Don’t fish unless you see them rolling.

Exchamsiks River
Coho are coming into the river now. With all of the rain we have had I am not sure what shape the water is in. Many of the fish holding in the lower end have moved upriver. Fish the deep darker pools where they may be holding. Don’t fish unless you see them rolling.

Lakelse River
I have reports of good numbers of Coho being caught throughout the whole river. The Steelhead will be coming in right behind the Coho.

Fishing Guide and Tackle Shop Reports

Summary for Skeena and Tributaries
Fishing This Week
GOOD

Type of Fish Caught
River: Coho, Steelhead, Cutthroat Trout and Dolly Varden Char.
Ocean: All five species of Salmon, Halibut, Bottom Fish and Dungeness and King Crab for ocean.

Thank you for using barbless hooks! (This is a BC fishing regulation)

Largest Fish of the Week
River: 15-pound Steelhead from the Kalum River. Ocean: No big fish reported.

BOOKING NOW for fall Steelhead and Coho. Let me know if I can be of service to book you with the "best" fishing guide and/or fishing lodges for both river and ocean. There are NO extra charges to book through me, just a lot of free information and advice from a person with years and years of fishing and fish guiding experience. It is like hiring two guides for the price Your “dream trip” awaits. Please Contact Noel anytime…to start planning your trip. Everything will be to your entire satisfaction

Ron Wakita: Reliable Guide and Charters, Kitimat BC
Home Hardware Tackle Shop E-mail wakita@telus.net Phone 250-632-1275

Kitimat River
The Kitimat River is similar to most rivers in the North West remained high and dirty for most of the week but it is looking like it will be clean enough to fish by this weekend barring anymore rain. Some anglers ventured out to the upper Kitimat or to the mouths of the cleaner tributaries and were catching the odd Coho.

Coho fishing and Trout fishing should be very good when the Kitimat becomes fishable although most of Coho will have turned to spawning colors. Fishing in October is all about taking advantage of the river conditions. Normally the Kitimat River is not usually unfishable for as long a period as we have experienced this season but it is what it is.

Douglas Channel
Oct 12 Ferd Wuensche reports, " We hooked 6 Winter Springs in the 12-15 lb range in one hours fishing at Jesse Falls on anchovies. Ferd was fishing with his fishing partners Jason and Ryan". Congratulations Guys!

Summary
Boaters are advised that Halibut will be closed midnight Oct. 18, 2010. Please refer to Fishery Notice. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/ ... creational
With recent closure of Halibut boaters will be focused on Crabbing and Trolling for Winter Springs. Rock Cod, Snapper and Ling Cod remains open but with Halibut closed, I don't anticipate many boaters will be bottom fishing.
Winter Chinook fishing can be an awesome fishery but this fishery is weather dependant.
Thank You to everyone for providing photos and info to this Fishing Report.

We have plenty of open dates for Driftboat Trips for Coho and Saltwater Charters for Coho and Halibut. Any interested anglers please contact Noel noel@noelgyger.ca

Good Health and Good Fishing!

Sincerely and Cheers Ron Wakita

Bob Melrose: Oscars Source for Sports, Smithers BC

For What's It Worth

A study was commissioned a few years ago on the value of the Skeena fishery. The figure they came up with was $110,000,000. That is $110 Million Dollars per year to our economy. No small change, we would agree. That is a renewable resource if we take care of it.

Figuring in the commercial catch from the Skeena, First Nations food fishery, tourism, and sport fishing are probably the big players but then you add in the airlines, gas stations, tackle shops, bed and breakfasts, motels, jet boats, marinas etc. and it's not too hard to see where the $110 Million a year value comes in. More than likely a conservative estimate.

But, what is it really worth? What if there were no Salmon, Steelhead or river? Would you enjoy your Northwest British Columbia as much? That is a question we must ask ourselves with the proposed Enbridge pipeline. It will cross many hundreds of small streams along or across some of the best Steelhead/Salmon streams in the world. True, there will be some specialized construction jobs involved in the building phase but after construction you could count the jobs on your own hands and toes.

And for what? So we can supply energy to China, our biggest competitor? We have existing pipelines already running down to Vancouver and into the States. Why should we run the risk of a spill, earthquake. landslide or marine tanker spill on our coast? And is China the only market for this product? Would the existing pipelines take this into the States and who will buy all the product we will sell them?

Why? Because it is cheaper for the company. Now, they will say that all safeguards have been taken and they will use the latest technology. That is of little comfort when you consider the Gulf Oil Spill, the Exxon Valdez or Enbridge's recent Kalamazoo Spill or the thousands of infractions and hundreds of spills worldwide. And after you take out human error consider Mother Nature's floods or landslides.

So, what's it worth?

Is it worth about 20 full time jobs, after construction is over, or are your rivers, ocean, fish and environment more valuable to you?

I am reminded of the scene in the movie "Erin Brokovich" when she is standing in front of all the suits from the proponents who told everybody how safe they were, how they would take every precaution etc. Then she offers them a "special glass of water" from their own polluted wells and water supply. None of the suits took her up on the offer.

Fast forward a number of years and the boy is looking through his Dad's old photo albums. He asks his dad pointing to a big fish his Dad is holding. "What kind of fish is that Dad?"

His Dad replies "That is a Steelhead, son"
The son says "Dad, can we go fish for them?"
"Sorry son, we didn't take very good care of our rivers, Steelhead or Salmon and now there aren't very many left."

Or

Does the Dad reply "Sure thing son, we can go tomorrow."

So, it is our rivers, fish, coastline and our environment.

What is it worth?

Enjoy your weekend, be safe and considerate of other anglers.

Kispiox River
Water is high from all the recent rains but it is clearing up quickly. It has about 2 feet of visibility and most anglers are hooking into a couple of fish a day.

Bulkley River
Water is high but fishable. The Telkwa is causing most of the colouring, as usual, and the upper river is pretty clear. Fishing has done well. The nights have been getting cooler and that will help clear up the rivers. It is nice to have some new water in the river and as it clears the fishing should improve.

Morice River
Water is quite high but with about 3 feet of visibility it is more than good enough for fishing. Fish are in the river and Steelheading has done well.

Enjoy your weekend Bob Melrose

To sign-up to receive these fishing reports to your personal e-mail in-box go here: http://www.noelgyger.ca/subscribers_form.htm

Rob Brown, The Skeena Angler

I would like to welcome Rob to my Weekly Fishing Reports. Rob contributes a weekly column to our local
Terrace Standard Newspaper: http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/terracestandard

Here is the link to his latest column: http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/ter ... 43734.html
Title: Going for Grayling 2 Published: October 12, 2010 11:00 PM

Here is the link to his blog: http://web.me.com/skeenaangler/Skeena_A ... /Blog.html

Welcome Home Page: http://web.me.com/skeenaangler/Skeena_A ... lcome.html

Hi. I’m Rob Brown. For the past 35 years, I’ve fished Skeena system.
In winter, sometimes alone, sometimes with a partner, I’ve strapped on snowshoes and tramped over the drifts to fish the Kitsumkalum River for steelhead.
In the spring I’ve divided my angling time between the lower reaches of the Kalum, chasing spring steelhead, spring salmon, cutthroat trout and Dolly Varden char, and the Lakelse River, hunting cutthroat trout and steelhead.
In the summer I’ve frequented the log gravel bars of the Skeena, angling for sockeye, summer coho and the summer run steelhead bound for the Bulkley, Morice, Babine, Kispiox, Sustut and smaller, less well known streams that feed the upper reaches, of the Skeena.
In autumn, I’ve enjoyed fine steelhead fishing on the Zymoetz and the Clore, dead drifting dry flies, dragging damp flies, and fishing tiny nymphs just under the surface for summer run steelhead.
My fishing hasn’t been confined to the Skeena drainage. Inside you will find records of outings to well known steelhead rivers like the Dean, the Thompson, and the Coquihalla, to lesser known streams, like the Kitlope, and many smaller coastal streams.
Some of the articles you will find herein are diary entries, records of days on rivers and streams in the valleys of the Skeena and the streams that feed her. Others are reflections on how I think things are and how I believe they ought to be. The pieces that fit into this last group are political in that they are concerned with the politics of the environment, the politics of resource management, the politics of sport, the politics of getting along with people and the way politicians have got it wrong or got it right when it comes to fish and all the things related to them. You will find some how-to articles, as in how to tie a fly and how to cast it. You won’t find any road maps to streams or any precise instructions on where and how to fish them, but you may be able to glean some of kind of information of this type by reading about my exploits and those of the men and women with whom I’ve fished. I haven’t tried to hide the little I know about angling from prying eyes, but, out of respect for fish and friends, I haven’t broadcast it either.
You’re not a bleeder are you? the late Lee Straight once asked me after returning the draft of a letter I’d written for the Steelhead Society of B.C. I put down the red ink stained letter, revised the original along the lines he suggested then sent it back with a note assuring him that I was not. That still goes. If you disagree with something I’ve written, if you believe your two cents worth is more valuable than mine, then I want to hear from you. If something I’ve scribbled down strikes a chord, if you appreciate it, or you’re glad I said it, I want to hear from you too.

Gary Miltenberger Northwest Angling Adventures

Creek originates in the highlands of Shelton Valley, Mason County, Washington State, on the northwest, Pacific coast of the USA....in the "big timber" country, not far from the southeast slopes of the Olympic Mountains.

Coffee Creek main, is 10-25 feet wide in the widest, deepest places, and only six feet across for most of the summer in the upper reaches, and it is a slow moving, flatland meadow/farmland stream, whose banks are mostly lined with willows and tall grasses. Much of the creek meanders through farm pastures where beef and dairy cattle, and a few head of horses, graze for most of the year. It's entire length is no more then 10 miles, then it drains into Goldsborough Creek, which after about three more miles drains into Oakland Bay of Hammersly Inlet, a salt-water arm of southern Puget Sound.

Shelton Valley is where our family farm was located, two miles from the city limits of Shelton, Washington, a lumber town, of about 5,000 people in those days. It was a great place to grow up, for a kid who enjoyed the great outdoors, like I did. Our farm consisted of three 40-acre tracts, end-to-end, 1/4 mile wide by 3/4 miles long, with wooded slopes on the east and west ends, and farmland pastures in the valley bottom, through which Coffee Creek wound. Our farm was the property immediately south of the Seventh Day Adventist Church property. The creek draws is name was drawn from the brownish, tannick colour of the water. There were grouse, other birds, and deer in the forests, pheasants in the fields, waterfowl in the creeks and marshes.... and fish in the creek! On our farm, we raised both beef and dairy cattle, hogs, chickens, a few riding horses, always a dog or two, and way more cats than any one family should be allowed. There was also a wild sivet cat (skunk) who lived under a pile of boards in our milk house, and ate with some of the cats there. One always fed those cats very, very carefully, with no sudden movements!

That little stream was amazingly productive......
Depending upon the time of the year, one could find both resident and sea-run cutthroat trout, chum (dog) and silver (coho) salmon, bullheads (sculpins), and crayfish in the creek. There were also likely a few steelhead, but I never caught one in that stream. In the late fall and winter months, the nature of this little creek changed dramatically. It usually flooded each winter... big time. In places, it could be a quarter-mile wide, with huge flocks of migrating, overwintering ducks then attracted to the flooded fields, and very occasionally Canadian geese.

It was when the creek flooded from heavy rain that the salmon would migrate far into the upper reaches of Coffee Creek, including into the tiny, three-foot wide spring creek (a tributary of Coffee Creek) that ran down the southern boundary of our farm immediately behind our chicken houses, milk house, shop and storage shed, after originating in a moss-covered, clay bank in a conifer forest upslope of our farm. We drew our family drinking water, gravity feed, from that spring creek, and it stayed clear and cool year around.....some of the best drinking water you would ever taste! It also provided high quailty spawning habitat, and the salmon spawned copiously in that tiny spring creek, every year!

Our farm, which was settled in the late 1800s, had a smokehouse that was eight-feet square at the base (64 square feet), and around 20 feet tall. That should have been a hint about how salmon were harvested from Coffee Creek, and it's tributaries, in the years before conservation and more modern management became an issue. I am fairly certain that hams and sides of beef were also smoked in that smokehouse, before the days of home freezers and refrigeration.

This is where my personal angling adventures began, in northwestern Washington State, at the tender age of two-and-a-half. This is no lie: my very first fishing rod was a willow limb, to which was tied about six feet of white wrapping string, at the end of which was a bent sewing straight-pin, above which was a small sinker. Earthworms were skewered onto the pin, as the bait The pin was barbless, of course, so I was a pretty early advocate of and convert to barbless hooks for trout fishing.

My father worked graveyard shifts at the Simpson Timber Company sawmills, oiling and greasing the timber break-down machinery, so that high-quality lumber could be made from the huge, virgin forest Douglas fir trees, and so that he could farm mornings, evening, weekends, and on his annual vacations. Farming was as deep in his and my mothers blood, as fishing was to become in mine.

Working at the sawmill and farming, did not leave my dad with time to take me fishing. Luckily, I had a Swedish god-father from Seattle, Elmer Alverts, who would show up at our farm annually, with his family enroute to or coming back from famly fishing/backpacking trips to the western Olympic Mountains, almost always unannounced, who became my angling tutor when I was only a toddler. Otherwise, I might have caught the farming disease from my parents. The Alverts had been neighbors of our family, when we lived in Seattle, prior to my parents buying and moving to the farm near Shelton in 1952. Year-after-year, Elmer taught me more and more about angling. Eventually, he showed me about flies and fly rods. And so began the evolution of an angler. I knew that I had to become a fly fisherman! I collected empty beer and soft drink bottles for weeks and weeks before I had accumulated the necessary $2.98 USD, to buy a cheapie split-cane fly rod, reel, and eight or ten flies from the Sears-Roebuck catalogue.

In my first set of flies, was a Mickey Finn: yellow and red bucktail tied over a silver tinsel body. I just knew that fly would catch fish! Elmer had explained to me why "red" was the sea-run colour. You cannot imagine how extremely devastated I was, when on my first or second cast, that cheapie fly, probably tied in an oriental sweat-shop somewhere, totally disintegrated. I went home from the creek that day with a scowl on my face, and a pain in my heart!

Bless my dear departed mother, and the Herters International catalogue. My mom found me a fly-tying course at 4-H summer camp that year, at age 10, and after those lessons, and another four-to-six weeks, of collecting refundable beer and pop bottles for one penny per bottle, I had accumulated enough Abe Lincolns (American pennies) to buy a very modest fly fying kit from the Herters catalogue, and another stage of angler evolution was achieved. My fly tying feather supply was augmented from grouse, pheasants and ducks that I shot with my dad's .410 gauge shotgun. The fly-tying course was taught by the local agricultural agent, whom my father had a lot of respect for. My bedroom, shared with my elder brother Dave, became my fly tying area, filled with feathers, furs, a tying vise, hooks and flies, unlike the model aircraft and sports stuff that my "city kid" friends had.

My very first fly-caught fish was an accident! I had selected a stretch of Coffee Creek that was long, and straight, which had been trenched and straightened (channeled) by a steam-shovel in years gone by, to improve the drainage during the annual autumn and winter-time floods, to practice casting. I had no expectation of catching a fish that day! I stood at a creek-bank corner, where the straight stretch began, to practice my distance fly casting. It was a clear-sky, hot, mid-summer day, without a breath of wind. I was casting straight down the middle of the trench, slapping down the floating line with a splat onto the surface of the creek. I had a nine foot leader tapered to a 4 lb. test tippet, to which I'd attached a classic #12 Royal Coachman. When the line landed on the water surface, I would pause for a moment, slowly straighten out the slack, then twitch the fly a time or two, before stripping it in, to cast again. On about the third or fourth cast, when I twitched the fly....."whack!"!!! A 12-inch native cutthroat committed suicide. Don't know who was more surprised....the fish or me! Guess it couldn't stand the noise and commotion of my fly casting and the twitching of that fly, and was going to vent its anger on the culprit!

I strolled back to my house that day with a grin on my face, a warm heart, and excitement in my blood. After eight years of digging and dunking earth-worms, I was now a budding "fly fisherman", who had drawn his first blood. Who would have guessed way back then, what an amazing quest that experience would lead me on over the adult years of my life.

Best regards, Gary Miltenberger

Product Profile

Bubba's Bait Barn http://www.bubbasbaitbarn.com

Bubba's Bait Barn is a family run business which has operated out of (Vanderhoof, BC Canada) the Central Interior of British Columbia since 1994. Initially we only supplied live fishing bait to the stores and resorts in our area. We found that there was a great need for quality product and service and subsequently expanded our territory to other parts of British Columbia.
Our promise to our clients is...Our service will be second to none! This business will be run with integrity and honesty. We will do our absolute best to provide prompt, friendly service at all times.
Bubba's Bait Barn is a wholesale only supplier. If you are a dealer "anywhere in British Columbia and would like more information about pricing and ordering please contact us anytime.
For any further information on any of our products, please do not hesitate to call us or send an email.
Contact info is on the website: bubbasbait@bubbasbaitbarn.com http://www.bubbasbaitbarn.com
Dew Worms from Bubba's Bait Barn are available from these fine Tackle Stores: City Centre Hardware and Sporting Goods in Kitimat, Oscars Source for Sports in Smithers and Fish Tales in Terrace.

Chinook Video clips for 2010 season

The following are YouTube links. To watch in the highest quality “full screen” mode choose setting of 480p

June 17 32-pound Kitimat River Chinook Plays for 2:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfe0sBRphc0

June 22 Kitimat Chinook Adventure Plays for 4:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMk5oWOs1tE

July 8 CLACKACRAFT Kitimat Chinook Plays for 2:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKleEU9bcMg

July 27 Skeena River King Salmon Plays for 3:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9eQ66zFP14

Steelhead prediction for 2010

Just glancing over the Skeena Tyee Index for Steelhead as of August 12th, and must say the numbers look encouraging. The 1998-2002 seasons were the glory years, and those of you fishing then probably have many fond memories of that period. The numbers this year show the closest to those wonderful times over the last ten years.

Of course, a lot of things can happen, and often do when it comes to fishing. But by nature anglers are more glass half full than glass half empty people and time on the river is really never wasted. As Roderick Haig-Brown so wisely said "If fishing is just an excuse to be close to rivers, I'm glad I thought of it." So, if the numbers look good, we think it is going to be good, and we always go out there optimistically – info courtesy Bob Melrose

This may be the time to book that guided fishing trip of a lifetime! A few day bookings and lodge packages are being offered at super low discount rates. Go here for details http://www.noelgyger.ca/special-guided.htm

Coho prediction for 2010

Glancing at this year’s Skeena Tyee Index for September 17, 2010 for Coho.

So far the numbers are down roughly 25 to 30% from the decade average and less than half of the 2009 returns. Earlier DFO estimates were for equal or slightly better than last season. However, so far, that is not the case. Estimates, as with the Sockeye, can be just a guessing game. But, like all fishing, the best time to fish is whenever you can. When those leaves start to turn you know your time is limited so enjoy while you can.

Love fishing for those fighting Coho's and especially the big Northerns? As the salmon species go Coho are probably the most difficult to land. You may hook them, but you will seldom land every one. Somersaults, flips, rolling on the line are all part of a Coho's DNA. It is critical to use premium quality hooks and to keep them sticky sharp. It is wise to replace the factory hooks with suitable Gamakatsu http://www.rapala.ca/ or one of the other quality brands – info courtesy Bob Melrose

More on boat safety advise from Gary Miltenberger:

This is only part of the story! I have operated several different sizes of jet-boat, and while oars may help with smaller jet boats in difficult situations, for other larger ones, they would be a total waste of time and energy! My present jet boat is a very big one: a 25' welded aluminum Ali-craft, with a high impact plastic sole on it. The dry weight is 3800 lbs, and it is eight feet wide. Fully loaded, with full gas (100 gallons), it weighs 6000 lbs! I have successfully carried six large adult men with three canoes, and all their camping and fishing gear, and food and booze, for two weeks, in this boat. That was likely a total load of around 8000 lbs. I have a 300 h.p. in-board Ford 460 V-8 for power. But when the in-board does not work, (which has been very rare) or the jet-jams up (happens more often) with a rock, stick, rope or something else, having several other options is VERY pleasant! First, have a very, very reliable, well maintained kicker.... is will be VERY useful! It doesn't have to be big, only reliable! Mine is a 9.9 hp four-stroke, and I have had the cooling system customized to handle silt and sand. Once, I limped 45 miles down the Taku River, then all the way back to Juneau, Alaska, on only the kicker...close to100 miles! Another time, 60 miles down the Liard River, after the jet jammed with small rocks, while on a moose hunting trip. Second, a good long "pike-pole", for shoving the boat away from sweepers and log jams. If one is good, two would be even better! Third, a good anchor and lots of rope (I carry 500 feet of rope, and I needed it all one time, to winch myself off of a sand-bar!). Fourth, make sure that you have a come-along or winch, and know how to use whichever you have. I have both, and have had to use them both once, in tandem! My big boat has a power roller on the bow, which runs off of the batteries. The risk with that is running the batteries down, if you get stuck really badly. So also carry a small solar panel (available at Canadian Tire), wired to re-charge your batteries. Fifth, standard safety gear: VHS radio, satellite phone, life jackets for everyone, first aid kit, blankets and/or sleeping bags, fire extinguisher, flares, axe, shovel, and a hydraulic jack. Keep your first aid ticket current, and take all the marine safety courses that are applicable to your boating. Finally, make certain that you leave a "trip plan" with someone reliable, who will send out search and rescue if you do not return on schedule. This saved my life once (it's a very long story!) .

Happy and SAFE boating to all! Gary Miltenberger

Guest Reports and Photos

*** If any of you have special fishing photos, testimonials, scenic river photos, wildlife photos or articles I would love to see them.

Marketplace

Contact me noel@noelgyger.ca anytime to post your items. There is no charge for a posting. Here are the latest postings:

Rod Days for Sale

For Sale: 50 Skeena River, section 2, classified rod-days for $2000. These rod-days come without the license. Without license means they can be sold only to guides that already own Skeena 2 rod-days. Contact Noel Gyger for more info. noel@noelgyger.ca

Real Estate

Beautiful Log home right next to the famous Kitimat River

Kitimat BC A True Fisherman or Wilderness Lovers Dream Home. 2 minutes to Kitimat River Boat Launch. 3 Bedroom 2 full bathrooms, 2 Levels 1000sq/ft each plus 500sq/ft loft. 1000sq/ft detached heated shop with games room, plus second storage shed on extremely private tree'd lot. Beautiful cozy log cabin style home. Heated floors, many updates, New spa-steam-shower-tub, plus separate stand up shower in main floor bathroom. Loads of potential. Western Red and Yellow Cedar logs, 12"-20"" round. Unique Home. Asking $350,000. Please contact Noel Gyger for more information noel@noelgyger.ca

Terrace, BC This property is a ten minute drive from the Terrace/Kitimat Airport part way between Terrace and Kitimat. Near Mount Layton Hot springs, within 45 minutes of internationally acclaimed Shames Mountain, 15 minutes from 18 Holes at the Skeena Valley Golf Club, and central in all directions from world class salmon fishing, mountain biking, hiking or kayaking. This property features over 400 feet of sandy beachfront. While approximately 25 acres is left forested, the balance has been levelled and prepared for your dream home, or potential development. This property is home to local wildlife, including Moose, Deer, and perhaps the occasional Spirit Bear, plus countless smaller mammals and birds. This property is truly a one of a kind natural treasure. Properties of this quality rarely become available, act now! Contact Noel for more info. noel@noelgyger.ca

Terrace, BC With over 3200 feet of river front, panoramic mountain views, beautiful natural spring on the property, mobile home and guest cabin, barn, stable, workshop, gardens, a 5 1/2 acre area that was formerly a vegetable growing plot that supplied the local area and has been fallow for several years now. May be organically certifiable. Pick your fishing spot along the riverfront, with several different good looking options available. Clear views of the Seven Sisters range, plus mountains to the East, West and South as well. Located 76 KM East of Terrace this is literally a piece of Paradise on Earth. The balance of the property carries up the ridge toward the majestic peaks on the South side of Highway 16. Perfect as a small farm or build your dream home. Contact Noel for more info, maps and more photo's noel@noelgyger.ca

Smithers BC - 8 terraced acres of Bulkley River Waterfront. Experience the advantage of natures tranquility only 20 minutes from downtown Smithers, BC. Prime building lot awaits your ideas for development. Proven year round water source. Boat launch access for world class fishing, kayaking, rafting, etc. School bus service available. Recreation waterfront and privacy all at your door step. $175,000 Contact Noel Gyger for detail and more photo's. noel@noelgyger.ca

Kispiox BC - Fishing paradise out your back door, world record steelhead were caught in this fishing hole. 24 acres of rare Kispiox Riverfront and host to the "Cottonwood Hole". Level, benched property part. Flood plain. Value of old homestead at buyers discretion. Prettiest small parcel in the valley. $249,000 Contact Noel Gyger for detail and more photo's. noel@noelgyger.ca

Wanted to Buy

I have a client who is interested in property of 5-10 acres or larger on the Skeena River or one of the tribs, not too far out from Terrace BC. Need winter access, hydro and phone connection, or at least wireless coverage. He wants to be able to walk down to the river with his Spey rod and fish, so Skeena 4 would be ideal, but no farther than USK. If you have larger acreage that is sub-dividable to suit my client please Contact Noel Gyger noel@noelgyger.ca

Contact me anytime to post your FOR SALE river or ocean front property. Retirement folks from around the world are looking for this type of investment where they can fish the rest of their lives and still be close to home! There is NO charge for a posting. My FISHING REPORT AND WEBSITE has world wide reach. Monthly average: over 600,000 server requests handled.
View current postings http://www.noelgyger.ca/recreation-reti ... rfront.htm

Hi Noel, I have a client/friend that I’ve been fishing with in the Terrace and Smithers area for the past 10 years. We have been looking recently at land in order to put up a small fishing cabin but we’ve noticed that most land listings in the Terrace area are for large plots. I was wondering if you know of anyone that has a larger plot of land on the Skeena (around Usk would be perfect) that would be interested in subdividing out a section of about 1 or 2 acres. Walking access to Skeena would be nice but not necessary.

I would be able to handle the legal work and associated costs to subdivide, so I just need someone who might be interested in selling off a small piece of their land that they aren’t using. Also, it would need to have vehicle access which we could do by registered right of way across sellers prop if unavailable otherwise. Contact Noel Gyger noel@noelgyger.ca if you have such property and I will put you in contact with the buyer. New! three weeks ago!

B&B’s For Sale

Sooke, BC Ocean Wilderness Inn This breathtaking 4.6 acre oceanfront property boasts a private setting with small creek towering trees and lots of wildlife for photographers and nature lovers. The beautiful walk on waterfront is almost a full mile of private beach. The home offers 9 very large bedrooms with large bathrooms. The fir floors blend into the log theme of the home, everyone who visits feels at ease in this comfortable home. Current owners have done extensive renovations to keep the property in top condition. The home has been featured in several publications and is well known for its great meals, crystal clear water, spectacular gardens and customer service. Enjoy spectacular views from the hot tub. Just a few minutes drive to fabulous salmon fishing and surfing beaches. Contact Noel Gyger for more info noel@noelgyger.ca

Quadra Island, BC Moon Shadows B&B 4500 square foot home on an acre of beautiful gardens, lots of room for toys in barn and storage shed. What a wonderful life choice with the ocean at your door step and fabulous Islands and inlets to discover while sailing or kayaking, fabulous fishing, clamming and oysters. Just a wonderful way to enjoy life while raising your family. Home is fully operational as a B&B, and is being sold with all furnishings, bedding and kitchen tools as the current owners are leaving the province. Contact Noel for more info noel@noelgyger.ca

Sooke, BC Coopers Cove Guest House Beautifully appointed 6 bedroom 7 bathroom waterfront B&B. This spectacular B&B was featured on Oprah for its gourmet cooking classes. Fabulous large professional kitchen, wonderful grounds complete with herb and vegetable gardens, and two hot tubs. Home is steps from the Galloping Goose Trail leading into the heart of Victoria. Contact Noel for more info noel@noelgyger.ca

To view the items currently listed please cast to: http://www.noelgyger.ca/market-place.htm

Website Sponsors

Redl Sports http://www.redlsports.com
Normark http://www.rapala.ca
Simms http://www.simmsfishing.com
Tuf Line http://www.tuf-line.com
Baitrix http://www.baitrix.com
Pure Fishing http://www.purefishing.com
Ace Line Hauler http://www.acelinehauler.com
Islander Reels http://www.islander.com
Lyman Lures http://www.lymanlures.com
Scotty http://www.scotty.com
Bubba’s Bait Barn http://www.bubbasbaitbarn.com
Gibb-Delta http://www.gibbsfishing.com
Shimano http://fish.shimano.com
Power Pro http://powerpro.com
G.Loomis http://www.gloomis.com

Advertise on the Noel Gyger Website and Weekly Fishing Report and grow your revenue

Want rates for sponsorship? Just go here http://www.noelgyger.ca/advertise.htm

Check the website stats for yourself: http://www.noelgyger.ca/stats

It is a "good" idea to advertise online because Canadians spend more time on their computers than watching television. They spend 18.1 hours per week online compared with 16.9 hours watching television. Go here to read the survey http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/0 ... abits.html

My GOAL is to increase TOURISM
You do not have to be a fishing guide to benefit from advertising on Noel Gyger's website. All tourism businesses, tackle businesses and others will benefit.

over 25 years promoting tourism and fish guiding experience
join your consumers on an angling journey of a lifetime
communicate your unique brand awareness to new and existing consumers
noelgyger.ca provides you with this opportunity with a limited time website advertising offer at reasonable prices
gain an edge over your competitors in this ever-expanding market

Last Minute “discount” booking prices

NEW! I am offering a "Super Special" FULL DAY guided Drift-Boat fishing trip on the Skeena and Kitimat Rivers! Maximum 4 per boat. Please contact Noel for details and prices noel@noelgyger.ca

NEW! I am offering a “Super Special” FULL DAY guided Jet-Boat fishing trip on Skeena and Tributary Rivers! Maximum 4 per boat. Please contact Noel for details and prices noel@noelgyger.ca

NEW! I am offering a “Super Special” TWO FULL DAYS guided Jet-boat fishing trip on rivers north. Minimum two persons required to do this trip. Maximum four persons. This trip involves lots of travel so one overnight is required. Guests are responsible for their own meals and accommodations. Please contact Noel for details and prices noel@noelgyger.ca

We also have some great spaces during our Fall Steelhead and Coho season, during the weeks of: September 12 to 18, September 26 to October 2, October 10 to 16 and October 31 to November 6. With the Steelhead numbers at Tyee, it’s shaping up to be a good Summer and Fall on our rivers. If interested please contact Noel Gyger soon. noel@noelgyger.ca

BOOKING NOW for fall Steelhead and Coho. Let me know if I can be of service to book you with the "best" fishing guide and/or fishing lodges for both river and ocean. There are NO extra charges to book through me, just a lot of free information and advice from a person with years and years of fishing and fish guiding experience. It is like hiring two guides for the price Your “dream trip” awaits. Please Contact Noel noel@noelgyger.ca anytime…to start planning your trip. Everything will be to your entire satisfaction

Contact information

GOOD LUCK and GOOD FISHING!

Yours sincerely,

Noel F. Gyger

Guided Fishing Adventures and Weekly Fishing Report
E-mail: noel@noelgyger.ca
Home Page: http://www.noelgyger.ca
Fishing Reports: http://www.noelgyger.ca/past-fishing-reports.htm
Sign-up for Weekly Fishing Report: http://www.noelgyger.ca/subscribers_form.htm for Smithers, Terrace, Kitimat, Prince Rupert and Meziadin North
RECORD SALMON & STEELHEAD Spin or fly-fishing
RIVER, LAKE, STREAM or OCEAN!!!
RSS feed News Bulletin http://www.noelgyger.ca/newsbulletin001.xml
RSS feed Itunes Podcast http://www.noelgyger.ca/itunes.xml
Follow Noel Gyger updates on Twitter: http://twitter.com/guided_fishing
"You meet the nicest people on the river banks"

To sign-up to receive these fishing reports to your personal e-mail in-box go here: http://www.noelgyger.ca/subscribers_form.htm :fishin:
Attachments
Photo of the Week.  Hi Noel:  We had a tough week with the weather but with<br />knowledge and perseverance we managed to hook fish every day including Coho,<br />Steelhead and some very fine Trout. These boys are from England, left to right is<br />Brian David and Rod.  The rod used was a 13 foot 6 inch spey rod, with Hardy Angel<br />reel, Skagit head fly line and String leach fly. Photo by Gill McKean Westcoast<br />Fishing Adventures.  If you wish to catch a fish like this then book a guided<br />fishing trip by contacting Noel Gyger by phone: 250-635-2568 E-mail:<br />noel@noelgyger.ca Website: http://www.noelgyger.ca
Photo of the Week. Hi Noel: We had a tough week with the weather but with
knowledge and perseverance we managed to hook fish every day including Coho,
Steelhead and some very fine Trout. These boys are from England, left to right is
Brian David and Rod. The rod used was a 13 foot 6 inch spey rod, with Hardy Angel
reel, Skagit head fly line and String leach fly. Photo by Gill McKean Westcoast
Fishing Adventures. If you wish to catch a fish like this then book a guided
fishing trip by contacting Noel Gyger by phone: 250-635-2568 E-mail:
noel@noelgyger.ca Website: http://www.noelgyger.ca

Return to “Fishing Reports”