Mosquito Lagoon Fishing Report for Orlando

Fishing reports for the entire United States coastline and freshwater systems.
CaptMikeBales
Outdoorsman

Mosquito Lagoon Fishing Report for Orlando

Post by CaptMikeBales »

Happy New Year!! Is it 2011 already? Time sure does fly.

The new year's fishing on the lagoon has been nothing short of fantastic. Record catches of trout and redfish have been the norm over the last few weeks of charters. Huge schools of redfish are in the Mosquito Lagoon and North Indian River, large schools of trout & black drum have also been spotted all month long. The cooler weather in late December made for some interesting and exciting days on the water. However all in all the bite has been exceptional.

The trout were eating as well. Look for them in the sand sloughs or near soft muddy bottom during periods of cold weather. If you locate one trout, there are surely MANY in the area. Try throwing gulps or DOA plastics for these holed-up fish. During cooler periods, I have schools of several hundred trout! Many in the 17-20” range.

Water levels have been extremely low allowing for some great sight-fishing conditions when the sun is up. Fly fishing should continue to be good using small offerings such as worm flies or crab type patterns. Warm winter afternoons with light breezes can make for exceptional tailing conditions on the flyrod.

Charters these past few weeks Included Martin and His Brother Christian, Ninh from Virginia, Mark & Paul. Also a special new year’s day fishing trip with my son Alec. He is my favorite fishing partner!! Have a great week and I hope to see you on the water soon! Call Capt Mike at 252-255-8175 or visit us on the web at http://hotfishcharters.com to schedule your Mosquito Lagoon fishing trip!

Return to “Fishing Reports”