Fort Lauderdale Fishing Happy Day Today

Fishing reports for the entire United States coastline and freshwater systems.
topshotfishing
Veteran Outdoorsman

Fort Lauderdale Fishing Happy Day Today

Post by topshotfishing »

Fishing Fort Lauderdale on Happy Day Today with Capt. Zsak

Bill Wagner with son, Brian, and Bill, Jr. from Ontario, Canada decided to do some fishing in Fort Lauderdale, FL aboard the deep sea sport fishing charter Happy Day Today with the Topshotfishing team. The cold front is upon us with temperatures in the low 70’s , winds out of the north at 10-15 mph, seas running 3-4 ft. As Bill and his two sons boarded the Happy Day Today, they were telling fish tales of their catches up in Canada, especially their Salmon catches.

We started trolling at the sea buoy off of Fort Lauderdale in 120 ft. of water which is our drop off – 1.8 miles from shore. Bill was surprised by the fact that we had just left the fishing dock and we were already in the fishing grounds. We put two plainers down, with two double hook Mullet strip on each plainer, one with a pink and blue sea witch and the other with a black and blue sea witch. For surface baits we went with four Ballyhoos and a Ballyhoo daisy chain teaser.

Trolling across the reefs going from 80 ft. of water out to 150 ft. of water is the technique we started off with. Once you locate the fish on the depth recorder, you work that area. Our first fish was a Bonito on a Ballyhoo, followed by a couple more. Our next fish was on our pink and blue plainer rod, which wound up being a 15 lb Barracuda and was released. From there I headed towards one of our artificial wrecks that sits in 140 ft. of water north of Fort Lauderdale. When I approached the artificial wreck, I marked fish on the depth recorder above the wreck. After three passes – no strike, so I slowed the boat down to let the baits sink deeper, which produced a nice Kingfish, followed by three more Kingfish. From there, I ventured off shore of Fort Lauderdale in 300-400 ft. of water looking for some Tunas. We ran across some debris with boards floating in it. Any type of wood floating in the water for any length of time will have barnacles on it and bait fish underneath, and in return the bait fish will attract the predators, such as Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, and Tunas. As I went by the floating boards, I could see some Mahi Mahi’s swimming underneath them. With the first pass, we caught two Mahi Mahi’s, which were throw backs because of their size. We did catch a nice size Mahi Mahi in this area.

With time running out and fish to take back home to the dinner table, it was time to head back to the dock at Bahia Mar 801 Seabreeze Blvd. Fort Lauderdale 33316.

For a successful and adventurous deep sea fishing charter Fort Lauderdale FL for Sailfish, Shark, Bonito, Mackerel, Swordfish, Snapper, Wahoo, Tuna, Mahi Mahi and Grouper contact Captain Zsak. - 954-309-7457 or email us at tzsak@bellshouth.net Website: http://www.topshotfishing.com.

Return to “Fishing Reports”