Mahi Fishing Fort Lauderdale Happy Day Today

Fishing reports for the entire United States coastline and freshwater systems.
topshotfishing
Veteran Outdoorsman

Mahi Fishing Fort Lauderdale Happy Day Today

Post by topshotfishing »

Fishing Fort Lauderdale on Happy Day Today with Capt. Zsak

Mike Comerford from Rhode Island, along with his son, Mike, Jr., and 12 year old daughter, Brianna, planned a deep sea fishing charter in Fort Lauderdale, FL aboard the Happy Day Today with the Topshotfishing team. We had blue skies, variable winds out of the east at 5 mph, a typical beautiful South Florida day.
Mixed_Mike.jpg

With a fifteen minute journey out to the fishing grounds, lines were in the water at the sea buoy in Fort Lauderdale, FL., in 120 ft of water less than 2 miles from shore. If you venture out another ¼ of a mile, it would put you at 500 ft. of water due to the extreme drop off we have close to shore. We started off trolling with two plainers down, one with a 2 ½ blue reflector drone spoon and the other with a double hook Mullet strip with a chartreuse sea witch in front. For surface baits, we went with four Ballyhoos and a daisy chain teaser.
Mahi_Mike.jpg

On our way out, Mike mentioned he was a charter boat captain in Rhode Island – his largest Blue Fin Tuna this year was 998 lb, a great accomplishment.

I headed north towards one of our 34 artificial wrecks located in Fort Lauderdale, FL in 190 ft. of water. On our way, our first strike came on our deep plainer rod. As ladies go first, Brianna was our first angler, and she reeled in a nice size Kingfish. Mike, Jr. and Brianna took turns catching more Kingfish. As I approached the artificial wreck, I could see a school of bait fish on the surface, a good indication that predators would not be far behind. I made a pass by the artificial wreck, and our two top lines came down – Mike Jr. and Brianna were the anglers and caught two Bonitos. I kept circling the wreck, winding up with a total of 6 Bonitos. From there, I could see a color change and rip forming, a good place to set up a kite with live bait. We put out two kites and two live Goggle Eyes from each kite. While waiting for the fish to appear, Mike and I talked about the charter boat business – the way of life for a charter boat captain. A splash appeared on the left long as the fish grabbed the live bait, taking off and exiting the water – a Mahi Mahi. Brianna was the angler and showed her expertise by bringing in a nice 10 lb Mahi Mahi – her father was very proud.

Everyone had a good time, but it was time to head back to the dock at Bahia Mar 801 Seabreeze Blvd. Fort Lauderdale 33316.

For a successful and adventurous deep sea fishing charter Fort Lauderdale FL for Sailfish, Shark, Bonito, Mackerel, Swordfish, Snapper, Wahoo, Tuna, Mahi Mahi and Grouper contact Captain Zsak. - 954-309-7457 or email us at tzsak@bellshouth.net Website: http://www.topshotfishing.com.

Return to “Fishing Reports”