Trolling motor mount | Steer the kayak?

Tell us about your fishing setup, ask questions about motors, boats or other fishing hardware
ashtonadrian71
Minnow

Trolling motor mount | Steer the kayak?

Post by ashtonadrian71 »

Hey Guys,

Since ordering the Elite I've been going over ways in my mind of setting it up with an easy to use electric motor setup, and I think I have come up with a solution.

I'm wondering how well it would work if I rigged an engine mount Minn Kota to the Elite. If I had a light engineering place make up a bracket which would attach to the mounting points on either side going around and under the yak, I think it would be perfect.
This setup would not detract from the stability or balance of the boat being below the waterline and perfectly centered. It also keeps everything above the waterline clear and uncluttered.

The only thing I am not sure of is the steering as this motor mount would be fixed below the boat, which brings me to my question.

Do you guys reckon the rudder would be sufficient to steer the kayak? :fishing:

Thanks guys.
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Re: Trolling motor mount | Steer the kayak?

Post by RACN35 »

way ahead of you ... i have had a bracket on my canoe for prolly 12 years ... they sell them on ebay for canoes and yacks both

i belong to a kayack fishing club and they use them in 20 forms from barbareick home made ones to $140 ones on ebay

pirates of lynnhaven ... kayack fishing club
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member

Return to “Boats, Motors and Boating Hardware”