Kayak Sailfish

Fishing from a kayak in Saltwater, reeling in monster fish from a kayak - Sounds like fun, doesn't it?!
allingeneral
Site Admin

Kayak Sailfish

Post by allingeneral »

I was watching one of the learning channels (Discovery, National Geographic...something like that) last night and there was a show on about Monster Fish. There was stuff in there about "Noodling" for catfish and about a 5,000lb fish (the Ocean Sunfish or "Mola Mola" - the biggest bony fish in the ocean today).

At the end of the show, there was a guy who landed a 7 foot long swordfish from an inflatable kayak! They showed footage and I was amazed at the fish he pulled up!

The story goes that they were out fishing in a swordfish/sailfish tournament and the guy had just decided to bring his inflatable kayak along. When they got out there, he decided to go for it. He baited his hook and tossed it out there. Once the fish hit and he knew that he had it hooked, he jumped into his waiting kayak and finished the battle from a little inflatable boat!

It was pretty interesting. I just looked it up and it was the National Geographic Channel and the show was called "Hooked: Monster Fish".
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
fishwithdc
Outdoorsman

Post by fishwithdc »

I have seen that too... A lot of us purists in the kayak community see that as a fluke and not really kayak fishing... to be officially recognized as a true kayak catch it needs to be hooked and fought from the kayak not just jump over when it is hooked... who knows how long it was fought from the larger boat first...

Nice attempt ... but not all that impressive...

D.C. Bienvenue
Sun Coast Kayak Fishing Tours
Sarasota, Florida
http://www.fishwithdc.com
Anglette
Outdoorsman

Post by Anglette »

up here in Alaska, some yakers went out fishing and landed a 400 lb salmon shark, for those of you who have never seen one, they look like great whites!
Attachments
yak.jpg
yak.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
boudreauxsbaits.com
Trail Guide

Post by boudreauxsbaits.com »

Hey D.C. has a brother up north! :biggrin:
fishwithdc
Outdoorsman

Post by fishwithdc »

Mine was bigger... haha

D.C. Bienvenue