HOPEWELL~ 18 MARCH 09

Everything catfishing! Tips, tactics, fishing from the bank or a boat. Tell us all about it and show us some pictures of your catch!
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

HOPEWELL~ 18 MARCH 09

Post by RACN35 »

Left the house at 0530 and headed up the highway to the mighty James River once again on our weekly trip away from the salty sea of the bay.

Launched at mean high tide and set the net for some cutters......after a 45 minute down JP to get bait in the FOG - Tony threw the cast net several times until the net had soaked long enough for the days bait.....Chris (Stonewall) was gonna be upriver but too far away to take him any bait so we didnt need but a dozen or so and
they were gathered in 1/2 hour or so....along with a 14 pound carp in the cast net.....what a hog it was......CPR'd and released it......I ran the boat up in about 10 inches of water and plowed mud like I was digg'en tators someplace in Suffolk instead of HERRING Creek !

FOG FOG FOG .......out on the river was so so so bad we dilly dabbled along.....so we didnt get hit by a Tug or ran over by a Tanker......

First drop off we fish Doug got a 16 pounder and second fish of his life
was a 46 1/2......I JUST LOVE IT WHEN A NEWBIE SEE THAT BIG HAWG ROLL ON TOP OF THE WATER......

Caught several more (eaters) there and moved up river but never made it all the way to Dutch Gap.....stopped at a new place I never tried before
and HOOKED UP big time on a 52 pounder.....kissed,hugged and stroked
and set her free to back where she came from-released......

Back near the JP bridge we ended the day with several more but no whopping big fish.......

I got the pics loaded so they can tell the rest of the story.....

Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: HOPEWELL~ 18 MARCH 09

Post by allingeneral »

Hey, nice to see you're gettin' out and about, Jamie. Won't be too long and I'll be doing the same.

Nice fish! Man, you got it goin' on there on the James. :thumbsup: :clapping:
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Re: HOPEWELL~ 18 MARCH 09

Post by RACN35 »

Yea finally got a chance to go catt'n......FIRST TIME THIS YEAR !

last year in Jan I went 11 times, 14 times in Feb and 8 by now in March

This 5 day a week sh*t in the tackle shop F'en sux !
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member

Return to “Catfish”