Tagging trip June 8th 2008

Bays, Rivers below the fall line and other inshore saltwater fishing
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Tagging trip June 8th 2008

Post by RACN35 »

Headed out to the open water today with DIXIE. Plan 1 was to go to the tower, but got wind there were some 200 boats in a parking lot there, so we said forget that and went to Plan 2.

On the way out, a saw a few spanish jumping, so we slowed down, but nothing else popped up. Hit the gas again and went another mile or so, before we see a fin sticking out of the water moving slowly around in the distance. Slowed the boat down and sure enough, it looked like a Cobia in the distance as the water was glass today.

Put on a bucktail and inch our way closer and it turns out to be a injured ray with one of his flippers sticking out of the water.

Ok, he was a tease so back we go to where we were heading. Arrive and low and behold only one other boat there.

Get set up in hopes of spades, but none to be had. Instead we caught and released 36+ Sea Bass up to 14" which was My and the biggest for the day.

While we were out there we did have three cobia come swimming past the boat at different times. All three were different sized, but no monsters in the three we saw. Tossed some baits at them, but none wanted to touch it. One did however, go back and play with My bobber I had out for spades in case they showed up again like they did last week.

Hot, but wasn't overly bad considering everything, and a dang good time to say the least! Water temp was an even 80* and I got in the water and hung off the anchor line twice just like a big fat white pale bobber !

On the way way back in we did a few bouy hop's looking for cobia, but none were hanging around. After that we rode up the beach from sandbridge looking for some holes and marking the beach for when we surf fish. Was a little discourageed when we rode past Dam Neck as the beach there has really filled in and not much depth or structure like He was hoping to see. Better spots down the beach towards the golf ball at Sandbridge.

Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: Tagging trip June 8th 2008

Post by allingeneral »

Cool man. Sounds like a good day. It was a hot M'er F'er yesterday!
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Inshore Saltwater Fishing”