Inshore/nearshore report NE Florida waters

Bays, Rivers below the fall line and other inshore saltwater fishing
cosbyrec
Outdoorsman

Inshore/nearshore report NE Florida waters

Post by cosbyrec »

The robins flew through last week headed north, hopefully, spring isn't too far away! Water temps are in the low 50's. Speckled trout are closed here in NE Florida this month, but can still be caught on a catch and release basis. Just be extra careful releasing them. I've had the best luck along the ICW drop-offs with live shrimp, plastics, and Gulp baits fished on 1/4 oz. jigs. Try to shake them off without touching them.

Sheephead are a good cold water fish and are also exceptional tablefare. Additiomally, ringtail porgies are congregating near the jetty tips to spawn. I like to toss 1/8 oz. jigs tipped with fiddlers or small live shrimp up close to the rocks. Just try to maintain sensory contact with your jig, ie., don't actively jig it. Just slowly raise the rod tip a few inches every now and then, or when you feel something different happening like a subtle pressure on the line. Don't jerk hard, just raise the rod. Of course, sharp hooks are a must. Often they will be hooked in the lip outside their teeth.

Whiting are congregating off the beach in 20 to 30 feet of water, or in area inlets and sounds. Surf fishing for them has been lousy since the water temps have hit the low 50's. Fresh dead peeled shrimp works best. I have experimentally caught them on small pieces of white cut Gulp baits.
Bluefish like the cold water and are in the river and coastal waters. They are fun on light tackle and will hit most anything that is moving. Keep in mind they will destroy your expensive soft baits and cut your light leaders, so rig accordingly. They will also eat cut bait fished dead on the bottom with a fish-finder rig.

Another good cold water fish is the black sea bass. Inshore they like rocky structure, and the great majority are too small to keep. The new size and bag limit for our area is 12 inches and 15 per person. Weather permitting, reefs and wrecks 5 to 15 miles offshore are the best bet for keepers. Drifting with squid or cut bait works well. You also might try jigging the bottom with plastic or Gulp baits. Light tackle makes it more fun.

Redfish are a real challenge in cold water. They are reluctant to eat and are extremely spooky in the creeks. The big breeders are offshore and may be unpredictably encountered on any of our artificial or natural reefs. Slot size fish can be caught around the jetty tips on occasion. The best results follow a few days of warming air temperatures.

Good fishing!
CAPT Bob Cosby

--
Captain Bob's Fishing Charters,Inc.
http://www.captainbobsfishingcharters.com
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: Inshore/nearshore report NE Florida waters

Post by allingeneral »

Hi Bob. Welcome aboard! Thanks for the report! Keep track of how many reports you post in the coming months and when you're ready to cash them in, let me know. You get $2.00 per report value at AIG Outdoors for free!

Where in NE Florida are you located? I lived at the beaches near Jacksonville for several years. I loved it down there. Never had a chance to fish at the time though :-/
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
cosbyrec
Outdoorsman

Post by cosbyrec »

I fish from Mayport to St Augustine nearshore and inshore.

CAPT Bob Cosby
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

ahhhh Mayport and St Augustine. I was on a Cruiser out of Mayport. Man, I envy you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Inshore Saltwater Fishing”