Inshore/nearshore report NE Florida waters

Bays, Rivers below the fall line and other inshore saltwater fishing
cosbyrec
Outdoorsman

Inshore/nearshore report NE Florida waters

Post by cosbyrec »

Inshore/nearshore Report NE Florida

We caught two spanish mackerel on my last charter Saturday, so the season is progressing along.. It won't be long before the water temps approach 70 degrees. I imagine you could pick up some spanish trolling 0/0 Clark spoons on a high tide if you tried. Bluefish have saturated all area waters, and can definitely keep the rods bent when other species slow down.
Sheephead are still biting well on the rocks, pilings, day markers, and river ledges. Fiddlers, clams, and live shrimp are the ticket here.Image Redfish and black drum can be found in similar spots. Boat traffic has been heavy on the good weather days, particularly when they fall on a weekend. Savvy anglers are buying thier fiddlers a day or two before the heavy traffic.
There are also some nice size flounder around, but they have been mainly a by-catch on my charters. Speckled trout and yellowmouth trout (weakfish) are biting fairly well when you can avoid the bluefish. The yellowmouths are usually in the deeper water. It won't be long until the topwater lures start producing with the big specs and redfish. The trout will hit best early and late on the higher tides, however , the reds will hit a topwater all day long if it makes him mad enough. If the topwaters don't work, try a lipped diving lure like the Bite-a-bait, which are made here locally. Also, try the new "Fish-bite" artificials. They seem to work as well or even better than the "Gulp" baits.
Whiting, blues, black drum, and the occasional pompano are likely catches in the surf and from the piers. You might also pick up a spanish from a pier using the knock-offs from the old sea-hawk lures. I think they're called "Gotchas". Silver would be a good choice. Throw it out, let it sink a bit, and use a whippy underhand retrieve.

Good fishing!

CAPT Bob Cosby

--
Captain Bob's Fishing Charters,Inc.
http://www.captainbobsfishingcharters.com

Return to “Inshore Saltwater Fishing”