Spawning Carp

Freshwater tips, tricks and questions
jwkungl
Minnow

Spawning Carp

Post by jwkungl »

Any ideas on catching spawning carp. One of our local ponds has about 100 very large carp.Usually they will eat just about anything I throw at them and all are returned to their habitat,but not during the spawning period. Next week there will be a kids fishing contest at the pond and I would like to see the kids hook some big ones. So lets hear what you fishermen have to suggest on this subject,
John Kungl, Fishing Instructor, Boys & Girls Club of Clifton
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Welcome to the AIG boards, jwkungl!

Once, on a family trip to Table Rock Lake in northern Arkansas, we could see carp swimming around below the dock. My old man told me to get a treble hook and a can of sweet corn and thread the sweet corn onto each barb of the treble hook. I caught a 12 pound carp in a matter of moments by dangling that treble hook in front of it.

Of course, being a young kid at the time, I had to get some pictures of this whopper of a fish that I had caught. Before I could get the fish back into the water, it died. My dad was not happy with having to clean the thing. He told me that carp were trash fish and that he didn't want to mess with cleaning it, but since I had killed it, he had no choice. hehe

Wow, that's an old memory. Thanks for reminding me! :)

As for the spawning aspect...I'm not sure. Maybe dangling a cute looking, young female carp out there on a hook will attract some attention :)

Anyway...the canned corn seemed to do the trick, as my memory serves.

Have fun at the contest. I hope the kids hook into some excitement!
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Fresh Water Fishing”