Barbie Fishing Pole Catches Record Catfish

General Discussion about anything fishing related
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

WILKES COUNTY, N.C. — A backyard angler has bagged the state’s record channel catfish using a 2½-foot hot pink Barbie Doll rod and reel.

David Hayes caught the record-breaking fish from a private pond while fishing early this month with his granddaughter, Alyssa, 3. The 21-pound, 1-ounce catfish measured 32 inches long — 2 inches longer than the Barbie Doll fishing pole.

“After catching two or three bluegill, Alyssa turns to me and says: ‘Papa, I’ve got to go to the bathroom. Hold my fishing rod,’” Hayes was quoted as saying in a news release from the state Wildlife Resources Commission.

“A few minutes later, the float went under, and I saw the water start boiling up — I knew right then that I had my hands full with that fishing rod.”
Story continues below ↓advertisement

It took Hayes about 25 minutes to land the fish, which measured 22½ inches in girth. Hayes said that once he got it to the bank, he was pretty certain his channel cat would exceed the previous state record, an 18-pound, 5-ounce fish caught in August 2007.

The fish was weighed on certified scales at a nearby grocery store, and a fisheries biologist with the Wildlife Resources Commission certified that Hayes was right.

— WNCN, Raleigh, N.C.
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
BWS OutDoors
Outdoorsman

Re: Barbie Fishing Pole Catches Record Catfish

Post by BWS OutDoors »

Amazing how fast a story flies across the internet...how many people have taken their kids rods like this one on their dock and caught some very nice bass...I know that I have and it is a lot of fun... :first:
BackWoods Sportsman OutDoors
http://www.backwoodssportsman.com

http://www.ckoutdoors.com
Home of T.H.E. Jig..if it's wet..it's catch'n fish

Catch-N
Loby Baits
BearPaws Baits

Return to “General Fishing Discussion”