HOPEWELL VA - 27 SEPT 2008

Everything catfishing! Tips, tactics, fishing from the bank or a boat. Tell us all about it and show us some pictures of your catch!
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

HOPEWELL VA - 27 SEPT 2008

Post by RACN35 »

Dad has been in town for a few days and of course the weather has really
sucked with the wind and rain,the Nor'easter blow'n around ....... goofed off at the gun range and golden corall Friday waiting on the Thursday mess to clear out......saltwater was going to be hit or miss at best......summer fish are heading south and winter fish are not here yet,water temps and conditions made it a great day to go to Busch Gardens.......but fish to take home was the game plane and so where else to go get quality fish and plenty of pullage but the James River.......Dad arrived at the house 8am in a pouring rain Saturday morning and said this is a NO GO ......yea right......he had no idea what was planned for him today......I showed him the radar just so he knew the rain was only along the coast and where I was taking him there was no rain,aint gonna be no rain.......we load the truck and head to Tony's house where he is hooking up the boat and just about ready.......off down the road we go......roll'n down 460.....YEP YOU GUESSED IT - HOPEWELL !!! Arrive at the city marina,launch.....idle around looking for bait and Tony throws the cast net......nothing but blue cats about 10 to 12 inches long.....back they go.....second thorw,third,fourth.....this sux.......lots tries and 1 friggen shad to show for it......I have a bucket of mullet,2 spot and 3 menhaden I brought from home so we head on out into the river and hit a few spot with limited results of eaters in the 18 inche range for the cooler.........slipped into herring creek and set out the gill net and let it soak for 30 minutes......200 big fat blue crabs were tangled in the net along with just 2 shad........after an hour of drifting in circles, Dad & Tony get all the crabs out if the net and stow it away......we run out in the channel. We parked 25 feet from the Green Bouy #91.....I say parked because we did not anchor......we used my CLT method.......uh huh ........before all 5 rods could be put out with the only 2 fresh baitfish we had......we had fish on........lost a 20+ pounder at the boat.......NO NET ? Tony whats wrong with YOU ? We were just going after eaters not trophy size fish today so we have no scales or net......a couple eaters heaved over the side of the boat and loose another trophy fish at the boat 40+ pounds ........fish here fish there and Dad gets a 30+ that Tony was dead set on getting in the boat for a photo op........leaders the fish and wraps the line around both wrists and in comes Dad's biggest fish ever.......30+ pound ramge easy ! I get a few, Dad gets a few more, Tony lands a couple and then the smallest rod with a 3/0 circle and a whole 4 inch menhaden goes down hard and Tony reaches out and lifts the rod up and cranks on the fish........he's hooked.......oh nice fish......too big for a keeper tho......in the 20's easy.........drag slams and the fish hauls tail .......30+ fish.........fish gets close to the boat and its bigger than a 30 pounder for sure.......40's maybe.......the hawg has no intentions of meeting any human beans today tho.......back to the dethps of the river it goes ! 10 minuets later the fish surfaces again ........this thing is in the 50's......up for the last time........Tony stop playing and give me the rod........I reel down and heave up several times and bring the fish to the surface as Tony hangs over the side of the boat with a tie down S hook to slip in the bottom jaw of the fishes mouth........FINALLY up & in the boat they both collapse......Tony with his new girlfriend .........somewhere in the mid 50's easy ( Thats all I will allow him to brag about 55 pounds )
Its now 5 pm and we are still a hour away from the boat ramp and 2 hour drive from home..........cut ourselves loose and head up river to the ramp. Haul home with a cooler full of eaters for Dad to take back to Indiana. Stop at Crab Creek for a cooler & a bag of ice while the sub shop makes a couple subs and contine home.....eat dinner and clean fish,packed in vac bags and ice for the trip back to Indiana........Dad should be on his way just about now this morning........good thing he has cruise control in the Aurora because his arms are going to be sore for a few days ..........Sept 27 2008. water temp was 71* all fish were caught between 11 am and 4 pm......who says you gotta fish at NIGHT or wait until the water gets COLD !! Brought home 8 eaters threw back a dozen others including a couple in the 20's, a 30ish, lost a 40 at the boat, landed a 50+ .......20 some fish all together.......yea we had a great day.

THANKS AGAIN FOR HAULING US UP THERE IN YOUR RIG !!

Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: HOPEWELL VA - 27 SEPT 2008

Post by allingeneral »

NICE! Man...I need to break away from the rat-race and go fishing. *grumble*

Did you take the blue crabs from the net home with you? Can you legally keep them?
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

yes we could have,no we did not....we were intent on fishing so it was a 3 man team effort to dislodge them and throw em back ......many many over 5 inches ......even that took 45 minutes getting them out of the net
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Jamie - Want to meet us in Hopewell on Saturday, October 18th for some fishing? I don't know when the right time to go is...would late morning be acceptable? Maybe meet at the ramp around 10am? Let me know what you think. I need to catch some fish and I'm having a helluva time right now on my own personal outings...

:fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing:
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

ALREADY HAVE PLANS TO BE THERE !! BY 10 AM WE WILL BE LONG GONE....AND SO WILL 50 OTHER BOATS-

GREAT BIG PIC-NIC in the afternoon......remember the WOUNDED WARRIOR PROGRAM from last year ?

Same thing this year at the Hopewell Marina- Sat Oct 18th......

I dont see a post on here about it, I know its at Fintalk.....dont guess I was a member here that time a year ago.....

http://www.fintalk.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4421
VCAN Member
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

Here are the quoted accounts of the day, yesterday 17 Nov 2007

QUOTE=RANGER690~~Sometimes....people make you proud. Sometimes...all that crap on the news falls by the wayside and Good takes hold of the world.

Today was the Wounded Warrior Project James River Catfishing trip. We had a huge problem to start our morning. Somehow, the task of securing fishing licenses for the service men and women never got completed. So as we stand there waiting for them to arrive (with 20 boats in the water and waiting), we are racking our brain. Our best guess was to convoy them to the nearest bait shop/Walmart/public computer and buying a license for each one. Sure the thought of "just go fishing" was there, but being the first day of duck season, the chances of seeing a Warden on the river was high. So we are thinking....dang, we are going to kill a couple of hours of fishing for these guys/gals. So, we took a shot at a solution. It went like this.......

Hello, Dispatch.
Ma'am, I need to talk with a local Game Warden.
No problem, give me your number and I will have him call you.

Hello, this is Sgt. Powers.
I explain our delema.
Hummmm....I can't just tell you to not get them a license.
I understand, just wondering if you had a better idea, that wouldn't cost these guys/gals valuable fishing time.
Let me think, make a call and I will get back to you.
Thank you sir.

10-15 minutes pass. My cell phone rings again.
Hello, this is Karen Anderson of the VDGIF. I understand you have some Soldiers going fishing today.
Yes ma'am.
Well, I am calling on behalf of Captain Minerick (sp) of the VDGIF. On his word, everyone of them is exempt from having a VA fishing license today. You folks go fish! Good luck....Have a great day.

Sometimes...those in charge, stand up and just take care of things. I have always had good dealing with our Game Commision. Today, they made a cold group of folks cheer in delight.

I will start another thread with details about the fishing today. But I wanted this topic to stand alone. The names above deserve some credit. None of them were obligated to follow thru on this...but they did.

Dayton~Quote

[QUOTE~~Racn35... God what an awesome day WE had !!! Dude we just got home man !!! Good seeing you again buddy. I will have a special folder on my bucket accnt for the WWP pics that will be showing up......I can think of a dozen cell phones with lots of lifetime memory making pics on them. Lisa too over 40 herself !! Just saw your 50ish too - Make your plans now - WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT FOR 2008 WILL BE OCT 18TH.................
Jamie~QUOTE

QUOTE~~WVBowhunter... Wow, we had about 27 wounded warriors, family members and miltary out on the river,,,fish didnt cooperate real well, but I think most all the ones that needed to catch a fish did with only a couple skunks. The big fish was about 55 lbs, that I think came off Eddy Wileys boat (Cat Tracker) with a few more in the 40's and another 50. Total around 500 lbs of fish caught by our guys and gals in uniform.

The Capt in Charge of the Warrior Transition Unit was actually a Navy guy I had known 20 years ago in WV, that got smart and went Army...He is one helluva officer that knows his men and has compassion for our wounded warriors, and has quite good potential to become a good catter after his first at around 40 lbs

I truly right this with tears in my eyes having been humbled beyound belief working to bring a few smiles with young guys and gals that have sacrificed and given so much for our nation. The day even began with tears from everyone as they couldn't believe so many people turned out to take them fishing,,,some having never been fishing a day in their lives. We had more boats and skippers than wounded warriors and loved ones, but that in a way was also a special blessing. One young mans meds had worn off and he was starting to shake pretty badly and had to be brought back in early---but he was having so much fun catching fish and enjoying himself that he nearly begged to keep on fishing. I can only hope and pray that each and everyone of you get one chance in life to share in an act of humanity that I experienced today. Please say a little prayer for our guys and gals in the military tonight and if given the opportunity to share in a smile or laugh with our wounded warriors.

Jim~QUOTE

QUOTE~~Fishdadhunt... Yesterday was one of my best trips one the water. It was great to meet an American hero and show him the time of his life. I have never fished for cats and I only live a few miles from the Dutch Gap landing (for some reason yesterday I was told that there are not cats there) I am hooked and can not wait to go again.Now I ve got to convince somebody how fun it is so I can go. The soldier was a great young man and he thanked me over and over and I know he had a good time. Although I have caught some nice fish on my boat, yesterday we caught some monsters the largest to date and largest total poundage. We could not officially weigh them but according to my great 1st mate Steven Stubblefield there was one around 5-6lbs, two over thirty, and one that was close to or over 50lbs. We also had two others that pulled off. I have a scale that only goes to 25 lbs and with this type of fishing i need a bigger scale. Thanks for pulling this off and I look forward to next year
Walt Brown~QUOTE

QUOTE~~cameron_krazie ...My boat and I were one of the last to leave that morning waiting on a few straglers to make it to the ramp. A young man by the name of Richard Newton a tender 19yrs old from western VA and I headed out running down to deep bottom.. We had the kind of start that u sometimes wonder if you should have wetted a line. A few good take down and a lost fish half way to boat, she was pulling pretty good. We went to deep bottom and picked up Bruce (redcat) and headed back for some more fun. The nibbles we good and hard but still no hook ups. We move for the third time and the poles started to bend. Finally a nice hook up. Richard got the rod and was fighting this fish real good. If u notice he is not a very big young man. This fish made 2 or 3 good runs and Richard was having a ball. The fish finally surfaced for the first time and we thought he was gonna swallow his chew.. his eyes got so big. We landed the fish and measured for his citation. A new best for Richard... 40lb. The grin from ear to ear was priceless... Its amazing how young he was and to have gone through so much. We all need to thank a veteran and say a pray for our men and women over seas... It made me think while I watched him fish and smile of how lucky we are to have brave men and women to serve our country. Thanks for all you do!!
Mike~Quote

THANKS TO EARL FOR STANDING BY THE GRILL FROM SUN-UP TO SUNDOWN :

APPROACHING 100 PHOTOS IN THE ALBUM SO FAR.....MORE STORIES AND LOTS MORE PHOTOS TO COME !!

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/ ... 0Warriors/
VCAN Member

Return to “Catfish”