Mosquito Lagoon Fishing - 2009

Fishing reports for the entire United States coastline and freshwater systems.
Cavanaugh68
Outdoorsman

Mosquito Lagoon Fishing - 2009

Post by Cavanaugh68 »

The start of the new year has turned out to be really great. The weather is working out well and tagging right along with it is some really awesome fishing. The past several weeks have actually been really, really good. Almost everyday I was on the water with a client and pretty much an overall success was accomplished. Even a few days fished for myself just to keep in touch with these beauties of the back waters. I am always following the feeding patterns and habits of these beautiful creatures of the flats we like to call game fish.

The past days and weeks have produced(and continue to produce) exceptionally great catches of redfish, trout, black drum and even a few mixed bag fish. Let's start of with the redfish bite. Reds have been roaming the flats early and throughout the morning/day. I have been getting most of them in the upper and a bit over the slot size by throwing a live shrimp at them or a Gulp in the white color. Nothing like sight fishing one of these bull dogs of the flats. Making your light tackle scream like the devil. A few reds were landed the other day with an imitation shrimp on fly with a client from South Dakota. Approach these fish slowly and you should be able to get close to them. As always with redfish...You know what I am going to say-Stealth and Distance and let's throw in a dash of Patience. This is the KEY to success for these troopers of the flats.

Now moving on to some trout. I do not mean just any trout, I mean TROUT. Very nice trout have been seen and caught using top water and live shrimp. Even a couple have been caught using the free-lined live mullet tactic. If you are able to get within sight of these smart fish with the right light conditions you can see and land a few of them by sight fishing them. Most the trout are between the 3-7 lb class with a few over 8lbs or so on the skinny water side of things. They are seen roaming grass flats and lurking among the sand holes in search of an ambushed bait. A good Skitter Walk in a mullet pattern will work well too.

Black drum have been thick throughout the entire Mosquito Lagoon. The fish are getting a lot of pressure and are becoming very skittish when approached. I find that a small shrimp will work on a 3/0 or so circle hook. Gulps work very well too for these fish and tend to stay on a good amount of time as well. Look for these fish roaming the flats VERY early then moving off to deeper edges for protection and food.

As long as things continue weather wise the fishing should continue to improve along with it. Call today to book your trip of a lifetime and get out there and see the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River like you have never seen before.

Happy New Year and Tight Lines!

Captain Drew Cavanaugh

Florida Inshore Fishing Charters

PO BOX 881

Edgewater, FL 32132

Cell/352-223-7897

drcfishmaster@cfl.rr.com

Light Tackle Fishing Guide On The Mosquito Lagoon

Specializing In Fly Or Spin

http://www.floridainshorefishingcharters.com/
Cavanaugh68
Outdoorsman

Re: Mosquito Lagoon Fishing - 2009

Post by Cavanaugh68 »

The past several weeks have been very windy here along the east coast of Florida well in Florida in general. Winds have been shifting from one way to another without any warning from any one. On days when you are able to enjoy yourself and get away from protected waters fish are being picky. This is the time of year you must explore the waters you are fishing and use all of the patience you have stored inside you. The fish are always there and eat just like we do. You just need to locate them. Fish that one day that are in one certain spot the very next day may be 100 feet away totally hidden. A kinda transition phase right now.

Redfish(red drum) are moving into shallow bodies to feed and then are picking up at any given time and just moving. At times you think the mother ship has just taken them all. Patterns of these fish have been erratic but you are being able to land them by watching there habits closely. Most of the fish are being caught and seen near shallow water with some kind of deeper water near them. Escape routes to say for them. These fish do not like to be trapped some where they can not get out of. Best baits for them for sight fishing would be a live shrimp presented to them very softly. The other go to bait would be a beautiful blue crab freshly hand caught. As always do not rush this. All it takes is a pin to drop in your boat and these fish are gone. They can not only hear you from a distance but can feel you too. Live mullet can be very productive for distance fishing. Freeline them along shallow water with nice white holes. Remember ambush points. Gulps and topwaters have produced numerous hits and lands as well. Topwater is being most effective at daylight as the reds feed along banks at bait fish. Then fish will move onto flats.

Trout are starting to move in at full force. Big trout(seatrout) are mostly secluding themselves in extremely shallow and protected waters. When you see them and they see you you will know. They will do that trout escape dance. As in - zig zag zig zag then left right then zig zag zig zag again then gone! You all have seen this. Early morning topwater works well. watch for crashing bait along banks and ares where mullet are being seen. Then switch to either live mullet along white holes or a well placed shrimp to a fish will produce strikes as well as the day progresses. As always try to release these fish as with all fish with caution and safe handling.

As summer time weather patterns approach and water levels rise fish will start to be normal residents in certain areas. More and more mullet will start to move in with this transition phase and bring the eaters with them. As always fish areas that have the signs...Bait fish, birds feeding, activity and just in general - action or movement. I look forward to seeing you out there on the water.

Tight Lines!

Captain Drew Cavanaugh

Cavanaugh68
Outdoorsman

Post by Cavanaugh68 »

May 10th, 2009

First off - Happy Mothers Day!

The past few days fishing here on the Mosquito Lagoon Has improved tremendously. I mean it has really picked up some. Weather is hot! Like summer time hot. The water levels are rising rapidly causing the fish to spread out. Bait fish are showing up in very big numbers as well.

Redfish have been extremely active in the early morning hours feeding and caught tailing in shallow water. A well place shrimp will do the trick. However the bait of choice the past several days have been fresh caught mud minnows by myself. It seems that these little bait fish are driving the reds absolutely crazy! I mean crazy! Reds are fighting over these things. A freelined mullet set of along grass flats will produce reds as well. The key as always is not to pressure these fish. They will freak out at the slightest noise or movement. Treat it with caution.

Trout are active as well in the early morning hours. Top water will get some very nice strikes. Trying to sight fish these fish is a task but well worth it when you get one. Again a well place mullet will be your best bet. Please try to handle all the fish with extreme care and release them so they may be caught again in the future.

I look forward to seeing all of you out there on the water.

Tight Lines!

Captain Drew Cavanaugh 352-223-7897

FLORIDA INSHORE FISHING CHARTERS

Florida Inshore Fishing Charters - Oak Hill - New Smyrna Beach - Daytona

Fish the World Famous Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River. Known as the Redfish Capital of the World. Home of the best light tackle backcountry inshore saltwater flats fishing Florida has to offer.
Cavanaugh68
Outdoorsman

Post by Cavanaugh68 »

May 29th, 2009

May is a time of year here on the Mosquito Lagoon when life comes to life and the action takes off like a rocket soaring to the sky! I mean things start to explode into action - big action. Bait fish are moving through the area by tens of thousands, birds are showing up by the hundreds, fish are moving over the grass flats feeding vigorously, manatees are in large numbers along with dolphins and so on and so on. It is the prelude to an awesome summer and fall of fishing here. No other place on the planet does this happen like it does here on the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River.

After last weeks rains the area has changed, a metamorphosis to say. Spring has fully turned into summer and out of this has arisen a wealth of great fishing. Early morning the past several days has been on fire if you are able to get to the right spots before first light to see this happen before your eyes. By right spots I mean they are really almost every where. Fish, all reds, trout, tarpon and snook have reached out to explore their new feeding grounds. Like kids on christmas morning. Let me tell you, they are happy, they are excited and they are feeding. As the morning goes by the fish seem to be getting more aggressive as noon approaches.

Trout are hitting both top water and pig fish at early day light along grass flats with drop offs and ledges. Then as the day goes by plastics worked along the white holes will produce strikes with them. Redfish are tailing and feeding along banks and shorelines leading into new territory that for months was inaccessible due to the extreme low water conditions out here. Reds are hitting soft plastics and a well placed shrimp for those who want to sight fish them. Reds this week have also been taken by fly, crab and shrimp patterns work the best. Of course a live mullet or mud minnow will always grab the attention of a beautiful gator trout and a stout redfish. Look for those sand holes within grass flats. Smaller tarpon have been seen and caught around moving water with a good amount of bait fish near them. Snook have been moving into the area as the water temps begin to rise into their realm of enjoyment. Pinfish,live shrimp and soft plastics work well for snook. As the summer comes on the snook bite will turn into great action. Tarpon are going after smaller plastics worked slow. As always year around out here on the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River remember ...Stealth, patience and distance will be the key to your success.

It is no wonder at all why Florida is the fishing capital of the world. Along with the Mosquito Lagoon being the Redfish Capital Of The World what a great combination. There is no other place on this planet that the fishing is so good and more people enjoy this fabulous activity by the thousands or even hundreds of thousands each and every year continuously. Or at least not without spending thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars to get there along with long and grueling travel conditions. Florida is a close and basically it is a fun destination to go to for family fun and enjoyment. There are so many things to do also along with Florida's great fishing and water resources - great beaches, excellent sites to see, culture events, fine dining, wildlife, and just so much more that I could go on for ever. Or for anything at all just to get outside for a while and take it all in. So for a world class fishing experience of a lifetime this is no doubt the place to be and to catch that memory of a lifetime. I hope to see each and every one of you on the water.

Tight Lines!

Captain Drew Cavanaugh

Florida Inshore Fishing Charters - Oak Hill - Edgewater - New Smyrna beach

Cavanaugh68
Outdoorsman

Post by Cavanaugh68 »

June 21st, 2009

First thing I want to say is Happy Fathers Day to all of the dads out there! Special Happy Fathers Day to my Dad as well!

Let the games begin! Summer time is here. It is hot out too.The fishing is taking on a pattern of the weather - HOT! The fishing the past several weeks has just improved tremendously as time is going by. I see it getting better as it goes on. There have been some days that the bite is awesome at day break and then the days where we are landing fish after fish after fish just before noon time...Go Figure? They eat like we do, at all times of the day. Snacking I would say.

Trout have been the main target at daybreak, take advantage of the low light and cool weather and you will get a few nice ones. Some in the 5-9LB range are being caught using top water early. You will land several smaller fish as well as they are feeding crazy with them in the deeper drop offs. I like the Rapala Skitter Walk in the mullet pattern myself, but most will work. Berkly Gulps are a very good choice if you can keep them away from the little bait eaters. Sight fishing them is getting harder because of the warm water temps push them to cool themselves at good light levels as the sun rises. They are also getting very spooky and aware of the pressure around them. As I have said so many times before approach these fish with caution. Take your time and watch the noise you make. Think of reds and trout like turkey on and in the water. Great sight and excellent hearing. Live mullet free lined along grass beds/sand holes and drop offs will works as well. Try to always handle the larger trout(all fish actually) with extreme care. Releasing them will also payoff in the years to come for more fish to be caught.

Redfish have been very active just after first light as well. Some times it is a toss up; Do I go for reds or trout??? They have been tailing and feeding like lions on the bait fish in skinny skinny water...Just amazing to see these fish sometimes do their thing in such shallow habitat. Several baits will work for them. A softly placed shrimp, a very nice fat juicy mud minnow will send a tailing red into a spin for it - they battle each other for it. Pinfish placed in front of them will excite them. Mullet will work as well, you just can not land the mullet on top of the feeding reds or they will run in fear. It scares them. As the light rises and you are able to get good vision in the water move to shorelines. The fish will be going shallow and sitting still sometimes. Watch sand holes surrounded by grass...Ambush points. No bait fish around - move on. Always try to use your push pole to approach these fish. They will hear your trolling motor and stay ahead of you all day not allowing you to get close. You will get frustrated. I know it is hot out but a little effort on this part will give you so much reward. Don't let the fish win. You will play chase the reds all day. Use your trolling motor to make up long distances and then put it away and pole the final approach, trust me this will pay off. Remember to give other anglers a very wide space between you and them. Early bird gets the worm to say.

I look forward to seeing all of you out there on the water. Tight Lines!

Captain Drew Cavanaugh
Florida Inshore Fishing Charters
PO BOX 881
Edgewater, FL 32132
Cell/352-223-7897
drcfishmaster@cfl.rr.com
Light Tackle Fishing Guide On The Mosquito Lagoon
Specializing In Fly Or Spin For Redfish and Trout.
Fish The World Famous Mosquito Lagoon - The Redfish Capital Of The World!

Oak Hill - Daytona Beach - New Smyrna Beach - Titusville - Orlando

http://www.floridainshorefishingcharters.com/images/gallery/IMG_3655.JPG

Return to “Fishing Reports”