Fishing report for Fort Lauderdale

Fishing reports for the entire United States coastline and freshwater systems.
topshotfishing
Veteran Outdoorsman

Fishing report for Fort Lauderdale

Post by topshotfishing »

Mike Williams and friends from Rhode Island chartered the “Happy Day Today” with the Topshotfishing crew for a offshore charter. We cleared the jetties and traveled a couple miles to the drop off at the sea buoy located in 120 ft. of water. The drop off is a reef or edge that goes from shallow water to deep water quickly where most of the species we target are traveling along. We are very fortunate to have such a short traveling time to the fishing grounds, for example to reach the drop off in Miami you have to travel 7 miles, in Palm Beach it’s 11 miles.

Mr. William’s group decided to target some Mahi Mahi even though Sailfish action has been very productive here in Fort Lauderdale FL. As we headed off shore, the sun was just over the horizon with a gold and orange sheen reflecting on the water, was a nice sight and we had a good feeling about the days fishing.

As we were heading offshore I could see birds working an area in the distance. As we got closer, I could see Black Fin Tunas breaking on the surface. We put out four Ballyhoos and one ¼ ounce yellow jap feather for surface baits and on our plainer rods, a 3 ½ drone reflector spoon on one and the other had a double hook Bonito strip with a pink sea witch in front of it. Our first catch were two Black Fin Tunas weighing in the 7 lb class. I could see sheen on the water running north and south in front of me. My 35 years of experience told me that the sheen was coming from Sargassum weed line, so I headed towards the sheen; once there, I headed south. Within five minutes our first Mahi Mahi was on, weighing in at 11 lbs. We kept picking away at the Mahi Mahi’s which were ranging in the 5-10 lb. class hoping for a Wahoo bite on our plainer rods. One nice Bull Mahi Mahi came out of the weed line weighing in at 28 lbs. followed by a Cow weighing at 22 lbs it turned out to be a good day offshore. There were some Sailfish caught inshore off the reef line, but the Williams group were happy with their nice catch.

With a good box of Mahi and Black Fin on the charter boat Happy Day, it was time to start heading back. This ends another successful and adventurous deep sea fishing charter on the Happy Day Today with the Topshotfishing team and Captain Zsak - 954-439-8106 – http://www.topshotfishing.com

Return to “Fishing Reports”