Ragged Point/Coles Point Potomac Rockfish

The Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries hold one of (if not *the*) best striper fisheries in the world. Share your striper stories and pictures here.
allingeneral
Site Admin

Ragged Point/Coles Point Potomac Rockfish

Post by allingeneral »

I spent the whole weekend on Ragged Point/Coles Point and caught several rockfish that didn't quite make the grade. Saturday, I only hooked a little 18" baby and had to toss it back. Then Sunday, I hooked a 26, 24 and 14. It hurt my feelings to turn the 26-incher loose. They have to be 28 inches or better during trophy season, which ends on May 15th.

The 26 and 24 were both caught on the same pole - using a 4-arm chartreuse umbrella rig with 8 ounces of inline weight and about 150 feet of line.

The juvenile on Sunday was caught on a chartreuse tandem rig with no added weight, so it was running quite a bit more shallow.

Bait was abundant in 35 to 40 feet of water running 15 to 25 feet. Marked a good number of fish as well.

I probably won't go out this coming weekend, but will definitely be out there when the regular season starts up after May 16th!
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Stripers / Rockfish”