Characteristics of Fishing Lines

General Discussion about anything fishing related
myfreestyle_08
Minnow

Characteristics of Fishing Lines

Post by myfreestyle_08 »

* Fishing Line Weights
With the exception of fly lines, knowing the strength of the Fishing Line is another important thing to consider, unless you want to end up loosing the fish you are after because of a broken Fishing Line. A test called the pound test indicates the number of pounds a Fishing Line will be able to hold before it breaks away. For example, a 6-pound-test line can carry approximately six pounds of load. In essence, if a Fishing Line has a higher pound test, it has a thicker diameter, and the Fishing Line is stronger. But bear in mind that you must suit your Fishing Line to what fish you are after and the size of your spool on the Fishing Reel.

* Fishing Line Colors
There are instances where you need to see the Fishing Line, and sometimes, you do not want the fish to see it. This can be resolved by using the right color of the Fishing Line. Sunlight illuminates clear or blue fluorescent Fishing Lines so they are easy to see when you are casting and retrieving. Moss green Fishing Lines blend well on waters with heavy vegetation or algae, while coffee Fishing Lines work well in fishing in muddy waters.

* Fishing Line Stiffness or Limpness
Fishing Lines also vary on stiffness or limpness. Generally, the bigger the diameter, the stiffer your Fishing Line is, and stiffness usually adds strength to the Fishing Line. Thus, if the Fishing Line is stronger, then it is also stiffer. On the other hand, limper Fishing Lines are more sensitive, and work well in catching small fish. But they may have too much stretch. When a fish hits your Fishing Lure or Fishing Bait, a limper Fishing Line pulls very easily and your Fishing Line will likely to break.

myfreestyle_08
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: Characteristics of Fishing Lines

Post by allingeneral »

What about the different types of fishing line.. Braid, Monofilament, Fluorocarbon, etc?
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
myfreestyle_08
Minnow

Post by myfreestyle_08 »

There are many types of Fishing Lines available on the market nowadyas. And i will post here the three types of fishing lines.

Fishing Lines:

Nylon monofilament Fishing Line
The most commonly used Fishing Line is the nylon monofilament. It is translucent, generally cheap, and is available in all pound-test kinds. It also comes in different colors- white, green, blue, clear, and fluorescent. One good thing about monofilaments is that because it is translucent, monofilament is almost invisible to the fish. Also, it is easy to handle and casting with this Fishing Line can be easy as well. It can be used on Spinning Reels, Spincasting Reels, and Baitcasting Reels. But on the other side, it is not advisable to use a monofilament when you are fishing for deepwater fish, since it can absorb water, resulting to loose knots, and its sensitivity can decrease when it is wet. Monofilaments can also weaken when exposed to heat and sun. Worse is, monofilaments have "memory". This means that they keep their shape if they are stored for some time. In other words, a monofilament stored in a spool for quite a long time will likely to come off the Fishing Reel in coils or loops. Replace your monofilaments at least after every season, depending on how often you fish.

Braided Fishing Line
In relation to its diameter, a braided Fishing Line is the strongest Fishing Line available. It is used mostly for long-line Fishing like deep trolling. Unlike a nylon monofilament, braided Fishing Line absorbs less water, so its great sensitivity remained the same even when wet. It also has no memory, so you do not have to worry about coils. It does not easily weaken due to sunlight. Braided Fishing Lines are resistant to abrasion. However, they are so tough that they can cause abrasion to other things like your hands, Fishing Rod, and Fishing Reel. Likewise, braided Fishing Line is opaque. That is why fish can see it and move away. Some attach a monofilament at the end of the braided Fishing Line to serve as a leader and to reduce the high visibility of the braided Fishing Line.

Multifilament Fishing Line
Multifilaments are probably the newest lines commercially available for Fishing enthusiasts. They are similar to braided Dacron in terms of sensitivity. A multifilament's stretch is very little and this Fishing Line is made up of polyethylene strands which, by weight, are around five to 10 times sturdier as compared to steel. This Fishing Line is excellent when used on conventional and Baitcasting Reels, especially when you are after a larger fish. Sounds great? Yes, these characteristics make multifilaments better than monofilaments or braided Dacron. But a multifilament is far more expensive than its equivalent on monofilaments. Being so thin, just imagine the amount of multifilament you need in order to fill the spool of a reel.

Yesterday I bought new Hi-Seas Grand Slam 2lb Spool - 80 lbs Monofilament Fishing Line for only $42.99.. Just take a look of the picture dude!

myfreestyle_08
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Yep, that's a deal. I don;t need any though :)
--
Rick
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

NO its NOT a DEAL.........it SUCKS.......I gotta go open the tackle shop but let me tell you from a guy who fished EVERYDAY......dont buy that crap..... HI- SEAS sucks. GRAND SLAM is the WORST line I have ever used....I wouldnt say it if it was not true.......more later
Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

I wasn't saying that it's quality fishing line...I was just saying that the price is right :) Ya gotta know that you get what you pay for...if you want premium 80 pound fishing line in a 2lb spool, you need to be prepared to pay a premium price.
--
Rick

Return to “General Fishing Discussion”