Florida-Crystal Riv. Withlacoochi Bay ?'s

Bays, Rivers below the fall line and other inshore saltwater fishing
Bluedime
Minnow

Florida-Crystal Riv. Withlacoochi Bay ?'s

Post by Bluedime »

Im a former Lake Erie/Lake Ontario fisherman, now in central Fl. with boat and not too far from the Crystal river, Withlacoochi and Homosassa areas. I didnt think I'd like saltwater fishing but gee- its really cool! Never too late to learn new tricks, eh? I've been out in the above places a couple times and quickly saw that I needed to get up-to-speed re: some changes in my M.O. I just need to get used to new surroundings like: tide, temps, reefs, fish types, seasonal weather patterns and the like. I have watched the t.v. pro's a lot, just ask my wife who is fighting me for the remote, and see that I don't have to go out and buy a $1000. worth of new stuff (though I'd like to) for inshore fishing. I did buy circle hooks, a deflator and an 'ARC' dehooker per the regulations I've read about. I'm ok with all that as years ago I just stopped killing fish, period, if I can avoid it.
Now so far, I've caught some Trout. My brother and I fished and he got a nice Jack. I hooked something pretty strong, but ignored a knick in my line and lost it. We were fishing the mouth of the Withlacoochi that day w/ live schrimp. I'm not complaining, but I know there are fish around there and feel that we just were'nt doing the right things. So I tapped into this site hoping to gain just a little advice from anyone familier with the area I'm talking about.
If you guys have ever heard of the Smallmouth fishery in the Great Lakes- well I been there. Lots of days of 4-6 lb. Smallies on tube jigs. Biggest? A 6 1/2 pounder. Also Steelheads in streams with 2 ft. of skinny water on fly rod. How 'bout 18lbs.? Yep, with almost all the backing out!
So if anyone would be willing to clue me in on central W. Florida inshore I surely would appriciate it and if anyone is planning a trip up to the Western NY area I can help advise.
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: Florida-Crystal Riv. Withlacoochi Bay ?'s

Post by allingeneral »

Hi Bluedime. Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I'm not sure if we have anyone from that area here at the forum who can really answer your questions from a local perspective. Here is some information that I found online that may help...

http://www.captainmarkzorn.com/ - Here are the March and April, 2008 fishing report from his site...

APRIL 2008: BIG TROUT ARE CATCH OF THE MONTH !
The oyster bars, rock flats, and deep grass beds are all holding some big beautiful Speckled Trout ! All the Trout are full of roe, so try to keep only what you want to eat, and release the big females that will increase next year's trout population.

The Spanish Macks are still on fire with some fish in the 28"+ range. I always take the time to chum for them, and be patient, because sometimes it takes a little while before they show up, but when they do it's well worth it !

The Redfish action has been picking up this month. Plenty of slot-size fish and some nice pods of 28"+ fish have been spotted. I'm still using live shrimp, but as the water warms, the pinfish population will increase and I will switch to live pinfish free-lined as well as under a cork.

The Tarpon are starting to show up on the outside South of Homosassa- so keep an eye out for the Silver King.

MARCH 2008:
The Macks are Back ! March started off with a MACK ATTACK. . .
In addition to the great Spanish Mackerel action, limits of Speckled Trout and Redfish were also taken.

The Spanish Mackerel were in water 6 to 12' and went for free lined shrimp or cut bait. Live shrimp seemed to produce better results, but remember to keep your bait moving. Spanish macks are speedsters and they like their food moving- not sitting on the bottom.

Speckled Trout fishing has been good this month, with many fish over the 20" range. It's important to know that only one Trout over 20" in length may be kept per person- so release the other oversized ones back into the gulf unharmed.

And here's a map to Pete's Pier. Might be worth stopping by there to discuss with the folks that run that place.
Attachments
Pete's Pier - Crystal River, FL
Pete's Pier - Crystal River, FL
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Inshore Saltwater Fishing”