Long Long Day @ Cape Henry 13 Dec 2008

The Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries hold one of (if not *the*) best striper fisheries in the world. Share your striper stories and pictures here.
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Long Long Day @ Cape Henry 13 Dec 2008

Post by RACN35 »

Had some guys from the daybreak fishing (google it) web site come down for a trip today from Maryland.......1/2 them cnx'd and only 3 could make it.....K Meyer & the wife made up the other 2 folks on board the boat w/ Todd & I......right at 8 am we shoved off and headed around the corner to cape henry.....NNW bicth'n winds and 4 foot seas.....we didnt notice much because the deadrise just plowed right threw them...slow N steady.......just around the horn I deployed a 5 line spread......2 stretchs (red & wht)..... a yellow umbrella rig w/ a chart trailor 6oz parachute on the TLD25 and the 2 Avet LDs towed 3 way rigs....
a 3 ft ldr w/ a 20 oz mojo on one and a 24 on the other....both had 6ft leaders dragging a green tomic and a 9 inch bunker storm on the other...........thats the plan........for 2 hours ~ Not a single knock down........then we get 34 on the umbrella, miss one on the stretch and net a 38 off a mojo trailor ( 9 inch storm )......another hour passes......nada, TIME FOR SOME SWITCHA ROO ACTION.......pull in the tomic and add a 4 oz bucktail w/ a 6 inch curly tail........bring in a stretch and swap it with a solid hot pink strech 25 ( Todds favorite,matches his panties ) ....... 35 seconds - BAM......fish on the pinky......BAM fish on the Mojo & bucktail........4 in the box.......there seems to be a problem between the SEAT and the STEERING wheel.......we loose the umbrella to a conk float line........and a MOJO......re-rig 2 combos and put the TOMIC back out......do a U turn......SLAM piny strikes again........ZING goes the TLD and theres 6 in the box........Elmer Fud donates a strech (R&W) and another mojo to the conk pots guys tackle collection......the broke back mountain stretch gets in on the action and helps boat 2 more fish.....8 in the box.........Kevin lands a fish over on one side on the TOMIC, while I finally get to reel in a fish myself cause they were all too busy ewwing and ahhhing over the fish we had......chock one up for the mate......I hand the rod over to Mr Gabe and let him crank in the last and final fish of the day.......its 3pm and time to head for the barn.......never looked at the depth finder myself, never checked the fish scope.....lots of birds the first 2 hours with NO knockdowns.......once the birds went else where we hooked up for a few hours of non stop fun & action cranking,netting and boating fish......all fish were caught 1 1/2 to 2 miles off the beach between the Cape Henry Light and the Ramada...........

HAPPY CAMPERS ON THEIR WAY BACK UP TO MARYLAND:::

Kevin & Ray w/ a Cape Henry HAWG :::

Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member

Return to “Stripers / Rockfish”