Learning to fish

General Discussion about anything fishing related
outnabout
Minnow

Learning to fish

Post by outnabout »

My wife and I are new transplants to Topeka Kansas. We have not met any new friends who happen to fish. I was taken fishing a few times as a boy, and a couple of times since. I have always wanted to really get into fishing, but have mostly been around people with no interest for it. Now I have decided to finally indulge in this long time desire.

I would like to fish for crappie, blue gill, bass, and catfish. I do not know of all the game fish around here. I do not know anyone with a boat, so I will be just be doing bank or dock fishing.

I went to wal mart, then Dick’s Sporting Goods to look at fishing gear. WOW! Where do I even start?
What are the different types of rods and reels out there? I know some are called bait casters, but which are these? What are the others? When is each type used?
I saw the different open and closed reels.
Which will I need?
What diameter, length, stiffness/flexibility rod(s) should I start out with?

I am 6ft my wife 5’3.
I know I don’t need to spend big $$$ on equipment that is way above my skill level. At the same time I don’t want to buy junk either.
Today I saw Zebco, Shimano, Shakespeare Ugly stick, Daiwa, Abu Garcia. What’s good, what’s not, whats excessive?

And then the tackle and accesseries, cheap stuff, expensive stuff, gimmicks, hooks, line(line weight), LURES, bait, scales, pliers, mouth openers, sinkers, bobbers, fillet knives! Geeze! Rows and rows of things that either all looked the same, or COMPLETELY alien to me.

Neither store seemed to have any knowledgeable staff working when I was there. So I am asking everyone here what are the essentials I need to get set up in this hobby….or should I say life style?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie step into the sport.

OnA
ragamuffin
Minnow

Re: Learning to fish

Post by ragamuffin »

outnabout wrote:My wife and I are new transplants to Topeka Kansas. We have not met any new friends who happen to fish. I was taken fishing a few times as a boy, and a couple of times since. I have always wanted to really get into fishing, but have mostly been around people with no interest for it. Now I have decided to finally indulge in this long time desire.

I would like to fish for crappie, blue gill, bass, and catfish. I do not know of all the game fish around here. I do not know anyone with a boat, so I will be just be doing bank or dock fishing.

I went to wal mart, then Dick’s Sporting Goods to look at fishing gear. WOW! Where do I even start?
What are the different types of rods and reels out there? I know some are called bait casters, but which are these? What are the others? When is each type used?
I saw the different open and closed reels.
Which will I need?
What diameter, length, stiffness/flexibility rod(s) should I start out with?

I am 6ft my wife 5’3.
I know I don’t need to spend big $$$ on equipment that is way above my skill level. At the same time I don’t want to buy junk either.
Today I saw Zebco, Shimano, Shakespeare Ugly stick, Daiwa, Abu Garcia. What’s good, what’s not, whats excessive?

And then the tackle and accesseries, cheap stuff, expensive stuff, gimmicks, hooks, line(line weight), LURES, bait, scales, pliers, mouth openers, sinkers, bobbers, fillet knives! Geeze! Rows and rows of things that either all looked the same, or COMPLETELY alien to me.

Neither store seemed to have any knowledgeable staff working when I was there. So I am asking everyone here what are the essentials I need to get set up in this hobby….or should I say life style?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie step into the sport.

OnA

You wouldn't be needing all of those fancy stuffs...YET! In time, as you learn and advance through with your level you'll be wanting those equipments because eventually you'd find out what those are for. For now just ask the store owner (not the staffs coz they're dumb) about what's good for beginners like you.
Bronzeback Chaser
Minnow

Post by Bronzeback Chaser »

Start out with a basic spinning rod/reel combo, various sizes of hooks, split shot, and bobbers. As you gain experience your tackle collection will grow :fishing:
donnaj867
Minnow

Post by donnaj867 »

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

Post by Bleitten04 »

Glad to hear that your getting into the great sport of fishing. You said you were looking to catch some catfish. A great bait to use is chicken livers. They will stink but catfish love them. Also try fishing in the evening for catfish. Crappie and bluegill will bite on worms a lot or even a small jig. For bass try crankbaits or spinner baits and after you get some experience try using soft plastics. Fish for large mouths near lily pads or any kind of structure in the water. Good Luck!!!
Last edited by Bleitten04 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bleitten04
Minnow

Post by Bleitten04 »

Almost forgot, try a Shakespeare Ugly Stick. Its probably my favorite rod. They are basically indestructible and a combo can be purchased for around $30.
Reeze
Minnow

Post by Reeze »

I am also new to fishing. :fish: My boyfriend and I just decided to try it after watching National Geographic. So far so good. I am finding it hard to catch fishes but the bond that you create with the one you are fishing with is worthwhile. Fishing gives me peace of mind and feeling of fulfillment every catch.
Minnow

Post by dowbrandon »

Fishing is very fun and the longer you keep at it the better you will be. Good luck to you newbies and if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
I live, boat, and fish in my home in Cypress Island. I'm also a Cypress Island real estate agent.
gopalkumar20
Minnow

Post by gopalkumar20 »

I am acquiring it immediate to gain fishes but the relationship that you start with the one you are fishing with is useful. Fishing gives me calmness of watch and feel impression of approval every secure.
florida eviction process

Return to “General Fishing Discussion”