How did you get started hunting?

Fishing, camping, hunting, boating, sailing, yachting - if it doesn't fit anywhere else, then post here.
allingeneral
Site Admin

How did you get started hunting?

Post by allingeneral »

I must have been about 10 years old the first time my dad took me out pheasant hunting. He didn't let me carry a gun at the time, but it was a great time for a 10 year old kid running through the underbrush and exploring the area.

When I was about 12 years old, I went hunting by myself for the first time. I took my trusty 12 guage that I'd been practicing with for months and headed out to bag my first pheasant.

I was walking along the brush that borders the creek bed about a mile from the house. Suddenly, I heard the unmistakeable sound of a pheasant flushing from cover. It surprised me, because I really thought that I was going to be walking around for hours and not see a thing...yet, I had only been out for about 15 minutes! I raised my barrel and didn't even look at the bird before it had bird shot knocking it out of the air.

I went to recover my freshly killed trophy and when I grabbed it, I immediately noticed that it was a hen. Hmmm..I wondered what Dad would think of this. I took the bird home (it was dead, so leaving it was not an option). I carried the bird home and excitedly showed it to Dad. He was none too pleased that I had killed a hen and sent me on my way to clean it. Needless to say, that was the last hen that I killed...but still a day that makes me happy and proud to be a country boy!
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
Pike_Master
Outdoorsman

Post by Pike_Master »

Great story.Thats always been what i would worry about is seeing if its a hen or a rooster sence ive never pheasant hunted before.Id love to go out and do it sometime sence i love going out there and enjoying all of it.I owe it all to my uncles grandpa and my dad for taking me out fishing and hunting now im all about it :biggrin:
Git-R-Done
RACN35
Veteran Outdoorsman

Post by RACN35 »

WELL GRANDPA SAID:

Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program Member
VCAN Member
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

hahaha that's a brave kid with that shotgun. I wonder if he did it again? :thumbsup:
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “General Discussion”