Help, Rookie here!

New to the forum? Tell us about yourself here!
glh0119
Minnow

Help, Rookie here!

Post by glh0119 »

I just got my fishing license and I am trying to set up my first tackle box. I am fishing for bass, catfish, musky, and etc. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
greg
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Hi Greg. Welcome to the boards! :welcome:

What type of body of water will you be fishing in? Fishing for lake catfish is much different than fishing for river catfish. I've never fished for Bass or Muskie myself, so I can't offer any help there.

In a lake, you will want to find a good catfish hole and just set up a treble hook with a doughball, toss it out there and leave your bail tripped on your reel so the catfish can grab the bait and run with it for a bit before you set the hook.

In the river, you'll want to use a double hook rig with a weight at the bottom and some cut bait. Oily fish like herring or shad work best. Cut the fillets off of the baitfish and stick good-sized chunks of it on the hooks. Toss the rig out into the current and wait for your pole to double over! :)

River or lake...heck, even if you want to tell us the name of the body of water, there may be more help available based on the actual location that you intend to go fishing.

Good luck!
Attachments
double-drop-rig.jpg
double-drop-rig.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
mjcolegrove
Outdoorsman

Post by mjcolegrove »

Greg

I dont fish much for Catfish (thou AIG's advice is Right ON :fishing: ) or Musky .... but I do know some things about Bass ....

You want to get a variety of baits or lures ....
First you want to get some Plastics - they can be scented or unscented it dosent really matter ... if the fish are hungry and its presented correctly they will bite .... You can buy scents to add to the plastics if you wish too..
but some of the Plastics you want to get are Plastic Worms - about 6 inches in length are the norm ... Colors (theres millions of them) but these work well - Purple , Black , Red Shad , Green Pumpkin , Watermelon , Tequila Sunrise and Junebug ... like I said there millions of colors but these are some of the Hottest Bass Colors ....
Grubs - same colors as above , plus Chartreuse ...
Craws - same colors as above

Hooks - sizes 1 up to 5/0 .... each size has its varied uses I normally stick with the 1/0 for most of mine but its personal preference here .... you go with what works best for you ....

Crankbaits - you will want some Topwater Baits like a Zara Spook or a Jitterbug or a Hula Popper for starters .... and you also want a Frog lure
(ie : the Spro Bronzeye frog )

Also some Diver Types - Bomber A , Bandit , Rapala and other companys all make Diver Lures .... I lhave a couple of each

Lipless Crankbaits - you will want to pick up a couple of Rat L Traps or the X Caliber type lures .... these are your rattle baits and are used for searching out and finding Bass .....

Im just learning how to use Jigs and Spinnerbaits ... so you may want to ask Rich Lindren (a Mod here) about these type of baits ....

but the ones I listed will help get you started ....

But I do want to warn you that once you start getting lures you wont want to stop .... they actually list as " Bait Monkey itis " , lol but hes our friend so its k ....

welcome aboard

mike
mike colegrove
glh0119
Minnow

Post by glh0119 »

Thanks for the advice. I am going to Conway Lake in WV Sunday with a friend who has fished his whole life. I will pick up some of the lures you mentioned and give them a whirl. How long do you try a lure before you try a different one? Has anyone on here ever fished at Stonewall Jackson in WV?

Thanks, greg
allingeneral
Site Admin

Post by allingeneral »

Let us know how the fishing trip goes with your friend. It should be a good learning experience!
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
mjcolegrove
Outdoorsman

Post by mjcolegrove »

I know with me if I dont get at least 1 Bump or a Strike within 15 minutes of fishing I will try something else ....

Fish are finicky one day you can getting hit left and right with a certain bait the next time out to the same spot they might not touch it ....
mike colegrove
glh0119
Minnow

Post by glh0119 »

The trip was great. We took his boat. What dp you guys know about all the colors of lures? Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks, greg

Return to “New Member Introductions”