Greetings from the beautiful U.P. of michigan

New to the forum? Tell us about yourself here!
willystuffer
Minnow

Greetings from the beautiful U.P. of michigan

Post by willystuffer »

I just wanted to say hi,I am excited about our recent move to the U.P. from the Detroit area.I am a fish only Taxidermist..I am also heavy into catch and release replica mounts. I am getting my feet wet in icefishing..am very new to it.I have met some new friends up here in NW Wisconsin and here in the UP that are hardcore trout fishin nuts..Cant wait for the spring opener! I hope to post fishing reports and any advice I can on taxidermy..like the best ways to preserve your catch and what your taxidermist wants to see as far as measurem
A beautiful spawning Steelhead from last spring on the Pier Marquett River
A beautiful spawning Steelhead from last spring on the Pier Marquett River
ents and photos for replicas.
allingeneral
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from the beautiful U.P. of michigan

Post by allingeneral »

Nice looking mount there willy. We look forward to hearing from you. I, for one, have no idea how to properly save a fish for mounting. It will be nice to know if I ever catch one that's worthy :)

Welcome aboard! :welcome:
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)
willystuffer
Minnow

How to preserve your catch if you want it mounted

Post by willystuffer »

First off,if you have decided to keep your trophy..or you just can't get it revived for release. Take a few up close photos..a head shot and an over-all body shot that fills the viewfinder to capture those colors and markings. DON'T "bleed out" your fish..as in cutting the gills.Most taxidermists are leary of gutted fish..alters the actual girth.Any cuts need to be done by your chosen taxidermist...Ok now to preserving. Rinse the gills of any excess slime and a quick overall rinse. Take a towel or pant leg or old tee-shirt and totally saturate it..lay it on the ground and soak it.Lay your fish on it and roll it up like a burrito..double the excess cloth over the tail.Now you can slip it into a plastic bag and freeze it.The reason behind the soaked cloth wrap is to protect the fins.Many people bring me fish that are wrapped in newspaper or just a plastic bag and frozen...90% of these fish now have broken fins, as once frozen they are as brittle as potato chips.Fish preserved in this fashion have survived over 5 years in the freezer.
Dont forget to take a kid fishing!
Mike G
Outdoorsman

Re: Greetings from the beautiful U.P. of michigan

Post by Mike G »

Welcome to the site, Willy, glad to have you here. I would be interested in hearing more about replica mounts sometime. You know, cost, time it takes... I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Return to “New Member Introductions”