No fishing today - Starboard Engine hates me

Tell us about your fishing setup, ask questions about motors, boats or other fishing hardware
allingeneral
Site Admin

No fishing today - Starboard Engine hates me

Post by allingeneral »

Got everything ready to go today - was going to head out on the Potomac for some rockfish. I had a little work to do on the boat and had to get some of my tackle squared away, so worked for about an hour, and got ready to head out.

I unhooked the shore power, then fired up the engines. There was a bit of squeaking going on in the engine room, but it wasn't uncommon, so I ignored it - until I started to smell rubber burning!

I popped open the engine hatch, and could see that the belt was smoking on my starboard engine. I quickly shut it down after only running for about 45 to 60 seconds. As soon as the motor stopped, the belt snapped at the alternator.

Turns out, the alternator was frozen and refused to turn, which resulted in burning the belt up. The belt got so hot that it melted the plastic part of the idler pulley as well!

So, I had to buy a new alternator, and idler pulley and a serpentine belt today. They won't be here until next week, so my weekend of fishing is a no-go.

Parts list for fixing my Volvo Penta 1999 5.0GiPEFS (GM 305 C.I.)
after faulty alternator fouled up the system:

Alternator - Volvo Part # 3860082 ($369 at VolvoPentaStore.com found on eBay for $112.00
    Serpentine Belt (x2) - Volvo Part # 3860086 (might as well replace the port belt while I'm at it) $66.43 each
    Idler Pulley - Volvo Part # 3860201 $19.10

Here's a diagram of the appropriate Alternator and serpentine belt drawing with part numbers:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Serpenti ... wcart.long
--
Rick
The only way you'll ever catch fish is to Go Fishing Forum (.net)!! :)

Return to “Boats, Motors and Boating Hardware”