Fishing Fort Lauderdale Happy Day Today

Saltwater tips, tricks, ideas and questions
topshotfishing
Veteran Outdoorsman

Fishing Fort Lauderdale Happy Day Today

Post by topshotfishing »

Fishing Fort Lauderdale on Happy Day Today with Capt. Zsak

Mark Decosmo and son, Mark, age 13, and Mike Ludwig and son Brendan, age 11, along with friends, Bill and John, all from Boca Raton chartered the Happy Day Today along with the Topshotfishing team to do some deep sea sport fishing in the Nova Southeastern University Tournament. Winds today were out of the west at 5-7 mph and seas were running 1-2 ft with ground swells coming out of the north.

We had two junior anglers on board with high hopes of scoring in the tournament. Before leaving the dock, my mate, Mark, and I coached the young anglers on the Sailfish fishing techniques.

Once we left the dock at Bahia Mar in Fort Lauderdale, the Happy Day Today stopped to purchase live Goggle Eyes from the bait boat T&T. From there I headed out to the sea buoy located in 120 ft. of water off of Fort Lauderdale. We put out two ultra light kites with two live Goggles Eyes from each kite and one from the rigger. Brendan was our first angler up - fifteen minutes into fishing, dorsal and fin out of the water, the Sailfish chased the live Goggle Eye around on the left short kite, while everybody else watched with excitement. The Sailfish grabbed the bait and immediately came out of the water spitting the hook. We reset and a half hour later, another Sailfish appeared on the left long – this Sailfish ate the bait while Brendan free spooled the line to him – we had a solid hook up!!!! I saw an 11 year old boy fighting a Sailfish twice his size with the experience of a professional angler. Fifteen minutes later, Brendan reeled the Sailfish to the side of the boat as Mark grabbed the leader for picture taking for the committee boat and was released. Great job, Brendan!!!!

We went back to the same area and set up again. Ten minutes after setting up the kite, the wind died. So I put into effect Plan B – pulling the live Goggle Eyes from the rigger and two dredges. Another Sailfish came into the spread and jumped between both rigger baits but showed little interest in feeding. This repeated itself again. Finally, the wind picked up enough to fly the kites again. Sailfish right short!!!!! Bill was the angler – twenty minutes later he reeled in the Sailfish and Mark grabbed the leader, pictures were taken for the committee boat and the Sailfish was released.

As time ran out, all the anglers retired into the a/c salon aboard the Happy Day Today for the trip back to the dock at Bahia Mar 801 Seabreeze Blvd. Fort Lauderdale 33316.

Brendan won the Junior’s division for a Billfish with a nice trophy to add to his collection.

For a successful and adventurous deep sea fishing charter Fort Lauderdale FL for Sailfish, Shark, Bonito, Mackerel, Swordfish, Snapper, Wahoo, Tuna, Mahi Mahi and Grouper contact Captain Zsak. - 954-309-7457 or email us at tzsak@bellshouth.net Website: www.topshotfishing.com.

Return to “Salt Water Fishing”