Sport Fishing Fort Lauderdale Happy Day Today

Saltwater tips, tricks, ideas and questions
topshotfishing
Veteran Outdoorsman

Sport Fishing Fort Lauderdale Happy Day Today

Post by topshotfishing »

Fishing Fort Lauderdale on Happy Day Today with Capt. Zsak
Mixed Ed.jpg

Ed Schoenherr and his daughter, Jen, from Montana chartered the Topshotfishing team to do some deep sea big game sport fishing aboard the Happy Day Today in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Winds were out of the north, northwest at 12 mph with blue skies and temperatures in the low 70’s.

Ed’s original plans were for a Swordfish trip twenty miles off shore; however, I advised him that the conditions were not favorable for daytime Swordfishing, so we changed our plans. Fifteen minutes after leaving the dock, lines were in 120 ft. of water, 1.8 miles from shore at the sea buoy in Fort Lauderdale. I started off with two plainers, one with a 3 ½ blue reflector drone spoon – the other plainer was a pink and blue sea witch in front of a double hooked Bonito strip. For surface baits we had two Ballyhoos and two Bonito strips.

It did not take long before the first hook up. Our key angler was Jen and she reeled in a 9 lb. Kingfish. She repeated this action a few times. With a double hook up on both plainer rods, Ed had to get into the action; both anglers brought in Kingfish. We kept trolling, catching a total of nine Kingfish and three Bonitos.

I ventured a little further off shore to 300 ft. of water where I had seen birds working the area. I ran across some debris floating and pair of Mahi Mahi came out from underneath the board – the father and daughter team took over again and they reeled in two Mahi Mahi’s in the 6-8 lb. class. As I trolled down a small weed line, the anglers picked away at Mahi Mahi’s winding up with 11 of them – ranging from 5 lbs. to 12 lbs.

With a half hour left in the fishing charter, I decided to put up two kites with live baits from both kites. Jen was hoping for her first Sailfish and as she called out for her fish, a black shadow appeared on the left long kite bait. The Sailfish ferociously attacked the bait and immediately came out of the water tail-walking. Jen got into the fighting chair to do battle but five minutes into the fight, the Sailfish threw the hook and the line went slack. Well, Jen was very pleased to see the Sailfish jumping out of the water even though she did not catch it.

With plenty of good edible fish to take home, the anglers retired into the a/c salon for a relaxing ride back to the dock at Bahia Mar 801 Seabreeze Blvd. Fort Lauderdale 33316.

For a successful and adventurous deep sea fishing charter Fort Lauderdale FL for Sailfish, Shark, Bonito, Mackerel, Swordfish, Snapper, Wahoo, Tuna, Mahi Mahi and Grouper contact Captain Zsak. - 954-309-7457 or email us at tzsak@bellshouth.net Website: http://www.topshotfishing.com.

Return to “Salt Water Fishing”